i.MX RT1020 FlexSPI boot from non-standard flash device

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX RT1020 FlexSPI boot from non-standard flash device

loganw
Contributor I

I'm designing a custom board with the i.MX RT1020 processor. I'm using ISSI IS25LP080D flash device. So far I've been able to program the flash device (I've done this through command line instructions using sdphost.exe and blhost.exe over UART as well as NXP's MCU Boot Utility v1.1.0). However, when I try to do an internal boot (BOOT_MODE[1:0] = 10b) the application software does not appear to be running.

I think there's something in the Flash Device Config Block that needs to be edited since I'm using a different flash device than the EVK board (IS25LP064A), specifically the LUT part of the block. I'm unsure how to proceed and was wondering if there are any helpful articles or tips on how to configure the board for this flash device.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

yanz
Contributor III

Hi,

The following sequence works for me (with the same flash on different EVK board):

yanz_0-1659074263034.pngyanz_1-1659074275725.png

yanz_2-1659074287449.png

Then I use NXP-MCUBootUtility with the following configuration:

yanz_3-1659074385904.pngyanz_4-1659074407550.png

Of course, download is done in serial downloader mode, after downloading you should switch to boot from QSPI mode.

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Logan Witter,

Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.
After comparing the datasheet of the ISSI IS25LP080D and IS25LP064A, I consider the ISSI IS25LP080D should be compatible with the IS25LP064A, in another word, the LUT table needn't be modified, however, other parameters should be updated, likes the flash size, page size, etc, thus please check them.
I was wondering if you can share the screenshot of command line instructions which is used to program the ISSI IS25LP080D, in further, whether you are able to debug ISSI IS25LP080D in the MCUXpresso, or other IDE.
Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

loganw
Contributor I

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get the application software to run in internal boot mode after a small change to the project settings. Attached is a screenshot with the correct settings. I had checked the "Plain load image" box when I needed it to be unchecked. XIP is now working properly from the flash device.

settings.JPG

0 Kudos