Does IMX8M support 2 emmcs

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does IMX8M support 2 emmcs

Contributor III

Hi,

We want to use 2 emmcs in the project, each emmc is 128 GiB, Does IMX8M can support ? How to enable the 2th eMMC to work. Tks.

We set the 2th emmc on SD2_DATA0 --SD2_DATA3, please refer to the attchment.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

As you can see the i.MX8M support 2 SDIO/MMC, so ,the i.MX8M can support emmcs work on you design. The second emmc design is the same with the first one, details you can refer to the MCIMX8M-EVK. But the only difference is that you need to use the 169 ball package in the schematic and PCB design.

i.MX 8M Block Diagram
Have a great day,
Rita

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

Contributor III

Hi Rita,

Thanks for your reply, I have some questions.

1. the second emmc is 4bit or 8bit (which pin )

2. could you tell the 169 ball PN .(emmc1 and emmc2 both use , or just emmc2 use the 169 ball ) . could use two 153 emmc ball . 

3. I read the Document Number: IMX8MDQLQRM   Rev. 0, 01/2018, in section 6 as blew, it is different from the reference schematic, all the mmc should use 8bit ?

222.jpg

4. Does the design in my project is correct or not? how to configure it in the code. many thks.

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

I have confirmed for you that, the reply as follows:

1\ Yes, the second emmc can be design 8bit, and recommend 8bit. Details you can refer to our reference emmc design, and the second connection and using is the same as the first one.

2\If you are using the 128G emmc you need to use the 169 ball. It depends on the emmc capability.

3\8bit or 4bit is OK, but emmc recommend to use 8bit, fast.

4\Software you need to configure the dts file. You nee to add the 2 sd driver to your code.

Hope these can do help for you.

Have a nice day

Rita

0 Kudos

Contributor III

Hi,

You said  the second connection and using is the same as the first one, but there are only SD2_DATA0 --SD2_DATA3, not exist SD2_DATA4 --SD2_DATA7. how to use 8bit?

mmc0 is work ok

emmc.png

mmc1 is not work 

emmc2.png

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

You want to use the 8bit, so you need to connect the DATA0-DATA7 in hardware.

pastedImage_1.png

Have a nice day

Rita

0 Kudos

Contributor III

where to connect DATA0-DATA7 on CPU side, only SD1 have 8 bit,  emmc1.png

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi zhulin Yang,

I have confirmed it again the SD2 only support 4bit. The SD1 can support 8bit. So sorry for above wrong reply. Update now. Hope this can help you.

Have a nice day

Rita

0 Kudos

Contributor III

Hello Rita,

Do you know how to set the emmc as a SD card in software side? if the hardware design is correct in our project. Many thks.

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Which version of BSP are you using? Linux or android?

0 Kudos