Arye Segal

Looking for a 16-bit microprocessor...

Discussion created by Arye Segal on Jan 23, 2009
Latest reply on Feb 6, 2009 by Carl Barnes
WGH

Hello everyone, I'm new around here, so allow me to present myself first. :smileyhappy:

My name is Arye Segal, I'm 20 y/o from Israel, and loved electronics ever since I was born!

So, after learning a lot of math and electricity, I think it's time for me to start using microprocessors.

I've already dealt with a few microcontrollers, but I'm looking for an 16-bit microprocessor that I can hook up to an external RAM and Flash memory. Do you know of any 16-bit microprocessors? I've already looked into the 6502, but I want to know if there are better (that's, faster) ones out there. :smileywink:

The purpose of this processor is to be used as a CPU in a retro-like game console I'm designing (NES-/SNES-clone), so I want to have a lot of RAM available (8+ KBs) and Flash program memory (1+ MBs). Plus, in the near future, I'm looking to make a dedicated GPU for it using an FPGA, to load off lots of calculations from the CPU, as well as a dedicated sound processor, etc.

So, any recommendations? :smileyhappy:

Thank you very much for taking the time to even read my post! :smileyhappy:

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and will be glad to receive any kind of reply,

Arye.

P.S: Posted in the parallel 8-bit forum as well.

Thanks once again, guys. Truly appreciate it! :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by eM on 2009-01-23 12:02 PM

Outcomes