cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for an 8-bit Microprocessor...

eM
Contributor I
WGH

Hello everyone, I'm new around here, so allow me to present myself first. :smileyhappy:

My name is Arye Segal, I'm 20 y/o from Israel, and loved electronics ever since I was born!

So, after learning a lot of math and electricity, I think it's time for me to start using microprocessors.

I've already dealt with a few microcontrollers, but I'm looking for an 8-bit microprocessor that I can hook up to an external RAM and Flash memory. Do you know of any 8-bit microprocessors? I've already looked into the 6502 and 8032, but I want to know if there are better (that's, faster) ones out there. :smileywink:

The purpose of this processor is to be used as a CPU in a retro-like game console I'm designing (NES-/SNES-clone), so I want to have a lot of RAM available (8+ KBs) and Flash program memory (1+ MBs). Plus, in the near future, I'm looking to make a dedicated GPU for it using an FPGA, to load off lots of calculations from the CPU, as well as a dedicated sound processor, etc.

So, any recommendations? :smileyhappy:

Thank you very much for taking the time to even read my post! :smileyhappy:

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and will be glad to receive any kind of reply,

Arye.

P.S: Will be posting the same message in the parallel 16-bit forum, regarding a 16-bit microprocessor. Is that ok or is it against the rules?

Thanks once again, guys. Truly appreciate it! :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by eM on 2009-01-23 12:00 PM
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

eM
Contributor I
WGH

Dear Celso,

Enough just isn't engouh! :smileywink:

I'm looking to design a system thats' resources are upgradable and expandable as needed. Plus, I forgot to mention, if the MPU chip package could be a PDIP, that'd be even better since it'd fit exactly into my breadboard. :smileywink:

Thanks a lot, Celso! :smileyhappy:

Yours,

Arye.
0 Kudos

Lundin
Senior Contributor IV
I doubt you will find any fast CPU with PDIP today, all modern micros are surface mounted. I think Freescale might have some through-hole versions of the HCS08 but I'm not sure which derivates that have that option.

Microchip have them for certain, but then you wanted a fast CPU so it probably excludes PIC. It certainly excludes all sluggish 8051 derivates.

Since you mention external memory, cost doesn't seem to be too important. For a few dollars more you can get a 16-bit S12X with a co-processor onchip. I heard rumours saying that the S12X works well with an external bus. Beware of the older S12 derivates however, they had a horribly complicated external bus system.

Another advantage of the S12X is that it's one of the most code-effectives CPUs out there, I very much doubt you will need 1Mb of memory to store a program written for that CPU.
0 Kudos

celsoken
Contributor V
Dear Arye,

First of all, welcome to the forum.
If I understood your application, maybe you don't need external ram. You can choose a microcontroller w/ enough ram and you can avoid external bus. For your flash needs maybe you can get a serial flash like a SD card, cheap & easy.
Regarding retro game console, look for uzebox project, it seems exactly what you described.
It's my small contribution.
Cheers,

Celso

0 Kudos