Unable to flash/boot after closing the imx7d.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to flash/boot after closing the imx7d.

Jump to solution
praveen_bharath
Contributor II

I have been using manufacturing tool with USB serial downloader to flash images on to the device. I followed AN4581 to generate the SRKs, configuring, building u-boot and finally signing the U-boot image. I was to flash the signed u-boot image, unsigned images of kernel, boot, system and recovery images. I checked the hab_status to make sure there were no events generated during boot.

=> hab_status

Secure boot disabled

HAB Configuration: 0xf0, HAB State: 0x66

Following the above I went on to close the device using the following commands

On i.MX 7S and i.MX 7D 0x470[25]:
fuse prog 1 3 0x2000000

After I closed the device I have NOT been unable to flash anything on the device. Here is what happens:

The manufacturing tool detects the HID complaint device when powered on.

I see some of the messages from the ucl2 script where the images get bootstraped/loaded to DDR. Manufacturing tool says "Jumping to OS image" and gets stuck. Finally here is where it breaks down.

ModuleID[2] LevelID[10]: *********MxHidDevice[02F851A8] Jump to Ramkernel successfully!**********
ModuleID[2] LevelID[10]: CmdOperation[0], current state command has been finished and the last command is successful, so SetEvent(hDevCanDeleteEvent)
ModuleID[2] LevelID[10]: CmdOperation[0] device chagned and reset to state 0
ModuleID[2] LevelID[10]: ExecuteCommand--Boot[WndIndex:0], File is C:\Users\PB00017906\Documents\CE32\mfgtool-c7ef687\Profiles\linux\OS Firmware\firmware\u-boot-imx7dce32-signed.imx
ModuleID[2] LevelID[1]: WriteReg(): Invalid write ack: 0xa223304

ModuleID[2] LevelID[1]: Failed to initialize memory!
ModuleID[2] LevelID[1]: PortMgrDlg(0)--MxHidDevice--Command Boot excute failed
ModuleID[2] LevelID[10]: CmdOperation[0], current command executed failed, so SetEvent(hDevCanDeleteEvent).

FYI, The manufacturing bootloader is also signed with the same keys.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tags (2)
1 Solution
praveen_bharath
Contributor II

Yuri,

Thanks for the support. I am now able to sign the images and boot the manufacturing bootloader and kernel. The addresses were a little off, fixing that helped get past the problem. You can mark this as closed.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
praveen_bharath
Contributor II

Yuri,

Thanks for the support. I am now able to sign the images and boot the manufacturing bootloader and kernel. The addresses were a little off, fixing that helped get past the problem. You can mark this as closed.

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

the MFG tool should also use signed target images (U-boot, kernel) 

Have a great day,
Yuri

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
praveen_bharath
Contributor II

Hello Yuri,

I have signed every single image I am using, both the manufacturing bootloader, zImage, initramfs, device tree and the actual target images (uboot, partition table, boot image, recovery image and system image).

On the manufacturing tool this is what I see when it fails

"Boot" body="BootStrap" error, file="C:\Users\PB00017906\Documents\CE32\mfgtool-c7ef687\Profiles\linux\OS Firmware\firmware\u-boot-imx7dxxx-signed.imx"

which is essentially the first step in the UCL2 script

<CMD state="BootStrap" type="boot" body="BootStrap" file ="firmware/u-boot-imx7d%7duboot%%secure%.imx" ifdev="MX7D">Loading U-boot</CMD>.

I have tried this on two devices and it fails as soon as close the fuses. Hope you can throw some light.

Thanks

Praveen

0 Kudos
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

Have You followed instructions in Appendix F (i.MX manufacturing tool) in "Secure Boot on i.MX 50,

i.MX 53, i.MX 6 and i.MX 7 Series using HABv4" Application Note, Rev. 2, 05/2018  - how to use signed

images with the MFG?

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN4581.pdf 

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos