Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.mx6 memory dcd table only reporting 1/2 of memory in uboot/linux

Jump to solution
dennis3
Contributor V

This is a continuation of a couple other discussions:

1) Original problem booting custom board w/ dcd parameters.

i.mx6d pop dcd generation -> solution use updated script aid v1.3

Our memory configuration as input into the new script aid.

Device Information
Memory type:LPDDR2
Manufacturer:Micron - POP Package
Memory part number:EDB8164B4PT-1DAT-F-D
Density per chip select (Gb):4
Number of Chip Selects per channel used21
Number of Channels used22
DRAM density per channel (Gb)4
Total DRAM density (Gb)8
Number of ROW Addresses214
Number of COLUMN Addresses210
Number of BANKS28
Bus Width (input 16, 32, or 64 bits)232
Clock Cycle Freq (MHz)3400
Clock Cycle Time (ns)2.5

4Gb per channel X 2 Channels = 8Gb total. (1GiB)

This boots successfully in uboot/linux but the total ram reported available to the operating system is 512MiB instead of 1GiB.

I'm considering that maybe I misunderstood the data sheet and mixed up number of channels/chip selects or density but other combinations don't boot the device at all.

Any suggestions of where to look.  I don't know if this is a script aid error or a mis-configuration or if there is an additional step we need to be taking after boot to make available all memory.

Note: the ddr stress test tool can see 1GiB of memory and calibrate it.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Dennis

one can check uboot parameter  #define PHYS_SDRAM_SIZE 

mx6dqscm.h\configs\include - uboot-imx - i.MX U-Boot 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Dennis

one can check uboot parameter  #define PHYS_SDRAM_SIZE 

mx6dqscm.h\configs\include - uboot-imx - i.MX U-Boot 

Best regards
igor
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
dennis3
Contributor V

OK, thanks for the tip in the right direction. We use a little bit newer version of u-boot than the referenced file, but that helped me start looking in the right direction for where the calculation was coming from.  I found that the dram size was being calculated based on ddr settings but our board has lpddr2.  The channel count was not being taken into consideration.  (Our board is based on the imx6sabresd board which has ddr).  So the registers were indeed right, but uboot was simply failing to add the total memory bits correctly.

0 Kudos