cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSD interface for audio

borge_strand
Contributor I

Hi guys

I'm wondering if the RT1015 or similar can be used to implement a DSD audio format and similar. In short, these series formats are similar to I2S but there are two data bits, one for L and one for R. 

Can this be done with one series interface, or with two which are synchronized? The interfaces would typically be synchronized by the same external clock signal(s) and fed from one or two internal DMAs. 

Both DSD and DAC interfaces named "no oversampling" or "direct" use two channels of data where I2S uses one. In DSD the word clock is disregarded since the word depth is 1 bit. In "direct" mode a shared word clock is used. 

In both cases, data arrives in packetized form over USB and is sent out to the DAC with the L and R bits in perfect sync. 

Thanks,

Børge

P.S. I asked a similar question yesterday but I can't find that post now, and that account won't let me log in, even though I accept cookies and agreements and what not. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

borge_strand
Contributor I

Thank you Yuri,

The i.MX RT1015 has 3x I2S/SAI. I was hoping there would be a way to run two data streams on them, with shared clocks (externaly provided) and individual data. After all, one DSD / No-oversampling is quite similar to two I2S channels. 

Is the RT1015 capable of running 2 or 4 synchronous I2S ports for 4 and 6 channel conventional audio today?

Stepping up to i.MX8 is quite the overkill in terms of cost, power consumption, board complexity etc. 

All the best,

Børge

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

from the i.MX RT 1015 RM:

pastedImage_1.png

SAI-1 is used for multi-channel audio interface, which supports up to 8-channels audio
input or 8-channels audio output at 384 kHz/32-bit. SAI-2 and SAI-3 can be used for
stereo audio input and output up to 384 kHz/32-bit.

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

Devices of i.MX RT series do not support DSD.

Perhaps it makes sense to apply to i.MX 8M and 8M mini.

Have a great day,
Yuri

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos