Running a GUI process on Second Display on Wayland/Weston

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running a GUI process on Second Display on Wayland/Weston

mustafa_ozcelik
Contributor I

I set up iMX8 Quad Max to have two display (LVDS+HDMI), but having difficulties running an application on the secondary monitor. If the applications are windowed, I can simply drag the applications; however, I want to place two apps on two seperate displays on init process so that our product initializes automatically.

To me, there are two different methods:
(1) - Using extended weston display, and specifying which window location to spawn the application (i.e. with Qt).
(2) - Having two framebuffers, one for LVDS display, one for HDMI display, then running weston on each of them. (This I think is not supported by weston, and I am unable to create a second HDMI framebuffer using the devicetree)

Regarding (1),
I know weston does not allow its clients to modify window position and structure to some extent. How should I achieve something like this? I need either something like,

DISPLAY=:1 ./App

or

wmctrl .... ./App

but on Wayland.

Regarding (2),
I would appreciate suggestions on how to do this in the devicetree, and information on whether or not this is supported by weston at all.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies

b36401
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

In case of Wayland you need to use WAYLAND_DISPLAY variable instead of DISPLAY.

0 Kudos

mustafa_ozcelik
Contributor I

I think I was misunderstood.

DISPLAY, or in wayland's case, WAYLAND_DISPLAY is only valid if you have a framebuffer and compositor (weston) attached to it. In my case, I use:

WAYLAND_DISPLAY=wayland-0 ./App

However this points to the wayland instance and the framebuffer that it is attached to. It does not have any control on secondary display on an extended display setup in weston. In a setup like (1), WAYLAND_DISPLAY might have been useful, assuming I could get help on how to set up a second framebuffer for the HDMI display, using the devicetree. So the questions are:

(1)- How to launch a process on the secondary monitor in a single-weston extended-display setup?
(2)- How to set up a secondary framebuffer for the HDMI display on iMX8QuadMax MEK?

Thanks.

0 Kudos