Possible to use u-boot.imx binary instead of flash.bin in IMX8QXP/ IMX8 Processor Boards

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to use u-boot.imx binary instead of flash.bin in IMX8QXP/ IMX8 Processor Boards

Jump to solution
rvalvekar
Contributor III

Hello All,

I am trying to research in board bring up procedures and, I would like to know if it was possible to use the Bootloader Binary File which is generated with the extension .imx with the IMX8 Processor Modules. 

The documents that I found regarding IMX8 state that I need to use the Flash.bin file which is the package of 3 files together. 

My questions are: 

1. Will it be possible to override the SCU Firmware and the Arm Trusted Firmware and for starters bring up the Board with only U-boot/ Bootloader ?

2. How can i generate the .imx file using mkimage utility or any other utility if there exist any ?

Any leads in this issue/ query are much appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards.

Rohan

0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Rohan

>1. Will it be possible to override the SCU Firmware and the Arm Trusted Firmware and for starters bring up the >Board with only U-boot/ Bootloader ?

not. Boot flow is different than on i.MX8M or i.MX6 processors,

i.MX8QXP Reference Manual sect.5.4 High Level Boot Flow gives description of boot flow.

2. one can refer to sect.4.1 Software overview attached Linux Guide.and readme/scripts on

imx-mkimage - i.MX Mkimage Bootloader Tool 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Rohan

>1. Will it be possible to override the SCU Firmware and the Arm Trusted Firmware and for starters bring up the >Board with only U-boot/ Bootloader ?

not. Boot flow is different than on i.MX8M or i.MX6 processors,

i.MX8QXP Reference Manual sect.5.4 High Level Boot Flow gives description of boot flow.

2. one can refer to sect.4.1 Software overview attached Linux Guide.and readme/scripts on

imx-mkimage - i.MX Mkimage Bootloader Tool 

Best regards
igor
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
rvalvekar
Contributor III

Thank you for this information. Is this also applicable for 3rd Party Modules of IMX8Q ?

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I think yes.

0 Kudos