cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UUU tool in Linux

seku
Contributor I

Hi ,
I have downloaded pre-built uuu tool binary version 1.2.0 & 1.2.91 from NXPmicro/mfgtools repo.

• I have installed Ubuntu 18.04 in my windows as a virtual machine and forwarded the USB OTG (imx8mm mini eval board ) as a USB device to the virtual machine.
  • The core-minimal-image has been built.
  • The core-minim-image-xx-sdcard.bz2 and imx8xxx-sd.bin-flash_evk files have been copied into the virtual machine.
  • The uuu.auto file is present in the same folder where the images are available.
  • Make sure that NXP semiconductor device is available in the virtual machine using lsusb command.
  • The following command executed in linux machine
    - sudo ./uuu Images/
    - The "images" is a directory where the core-minimal-image and imx8xx-sd.bin-flashe_evk files are available.
  • After executing the above command, the first command alone executed and the uuu tool is not proceeding further.
  • When I have verified the lsusb, the NXP semiconductor USB device is not visisble.
  • Not sure why this is happening only in Linux and the same version of UUU tool works well in Windows machine.

Logs for reference

myVirtualBox:~$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 1fc9:0134 NXP Semiconductors
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 80ee:0021 VirtualBox USB Tablet
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

UUU logs :

uuu (Universal Update Utility) for nxp imx chips -- libuuu_1.2.91-0-g3799f4d

SDP: boot -f images/imx-boot-imx8xx-sd.bin-flash_evk

This command will be run when use SPL

SDPU: delay 1000
SDPU: write -f images/imx-boot-imx8xx-sd.bin-flash_evk -offset 0x57c00
SDPU: jump

This command will be run when ROM support stream mode

SDPS: boot -f images/imx-boot-imx8xxx-sd.bin-flash_evk

Wait for Known USB Device Appear
New USB Device Attached at 1:2
1:2>Start Cmd:SDP: boot -f images/imx-boot-imx8xx-sd.bin-flash_evk
6400%1:2>Okay

---- UUU tool stuck here and unable to proceed. 

Please share if anyone encountered a similar kind of issue in the Linux platform. The tool is working without any issues in windows machine. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

greatshow_chen
Contributor I

Hi,

My own experience is that you need two usb filters for your device. I don't have screen capture with English interface. You may check the label of hot key in each field compared to the usb redirect settings in you virtualbox settings.

redirect1.png

This device is detected once you have install a workable google usb gadget driver. I use the one from boundary device: https://boundarydevices.com/android-tools-windows-support-nitrogen-platforms/

Another one seems appears when the device changes to fastboot mode

redirect2.png

I call it ghost gadget since I don't know why it appeared and what is it? 

When you use the uuu tool, it seems the device disconnect one time, so you need to reconnect the device from the device dorpdown list of virtualbox window.

**IMPORTANT**

Since the NXP fellow says the image deployment by a virtual machine is not supported officially, take your own risk. And it's better to have a native linux box or flash your image in your windows system.

0 Kudos

diegoadrian
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

We do not recommend using a Linux platform as a virtual machine, there could be several problems due to the compatibilities of the drivers, especially the USB drivers. Moreover, the processing capacity of a virtual machine is worst than a native Linux machine. Furthermore, the Linux distribution that we recommend to use is Ubuntu 14.04 or Ubuntu 16.04. You can try using the UUU tool on a native Linux computer with Ubuntu 14.04 or 16.04.

Best regards,

Diego.

0 Kudos