AnsweredAssumed Answered

Why does USB power need 4.4V min for LDO to 3.0V??

Question asked by David Luberger on Feb 21, 2019
Latest reply on Feb 26, 2019 by David Luberger

I want to have all power connections to the processor to be downstream of a single fused/regulated supply line. The only peripheral for which this seems to be a problem (based on the sabre board schematic) is the USB_OTG1_VBUS (I'll only be using one USB port to serve as a mass storage gadget).  The datasheet for the processor says that the internal regulator "LDO_USB" creates 3.0V, presumably for peripheral logic and comm signal generation (though I thought USB signaling is 3.3V differential); however the datasheet also shows that USB_LDO input (using either USB_OTG1_VBUS or USB_OTG2_VBUS) has a supply input range of 4.4V minimum. Why is that?? This creates a problem for me because I don't want to use the 5V usb power in from the microB connector, and everything in my power "island" is 3.3V max. It would be way better for my design if I could simply tie USB_OTG1_VBUS to my 3.3V supply, along with my other peripheral supply power inputs (such as NVCC_SD, etc.).  Why is USB_OTG1_VBUS at 4.4V minimum? Is this simply stating the USB standard, and therefore the actual LDO input can be lower? I realize I can cut and jump on the sabre board to the 3.3V supply to test it out, but I thought I would ask here first. I need USB power draw to be as low as possible, and I cannot support >4.4V at 50mA max draw, and I only have 3.3V max available on my design.

Outcomes