NFC reader to mobile phone

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFC reader to mobile phone

rmunnold
Contributor I

I want to activate my mobile phone from one meter away using NFC.

0 Kudos
6 Replies

IvanRuiz
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

The maximum distance allowed in NFC communication is up to 100mm. For your application you might be interested in a longer range communication technology e.g.: such as BLE.

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos

rmunnold
Contributor I

Thanks Ivan. I believe that the range has been extended to 1.5 meters using ISO 15693. Bob

0 Kudos

IvanRuiz
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Robert,

You are welcome, please let me give you a brief explanation: ISO/IEC 15693 also operates at 13.56 MHz, this is a standard for vicinity cards, which compared to proximity cards, it offers a greater distance.

If the Smartphone's front-end supports this standard, they will be interacting at about let's say proximity cards distance because of the reader's antenna design, which is not capable of allowing greater distances such as 1.5 meters. Due to this limitation in Smartphones, you might be interested to use a longer range communication protocol which fulfills your distance requirement.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos

rmunnold
Contributor I

Ivan;

Thanks again! Our requirement is not for two way communications, just for a transmitter to send the NFC initiating signal out 1 to 1.5 meters (never expecting a return signal) such that the mobile phone NFC functionality receives the message and in turn sends out its response (its normal action a distance of 1-3 mm) and notifies our app on the phone.

Bob

0 Kudos

IvanRuiz
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Robert,

It is out of my knowledge if ISO/IEC 15693 supports Peer-to-Peer and HCE modes to have an external active reader which communicates with the Smartphone. As far as I know it currently works in R/W mode.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos

rmunnold
Contributor I

OK Ivan, thanks for your help.

Bob

0 Kudos