Is it possible to use MCUExpresso with older GCC?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to use MCUExpresso with older GCC?

azon
Contributor I

Hi I'm working on few years old LPC1227 project that that is restricted to be built with specific GCC version (4.5.1) I want to update IDE from legacy (LPCEx4) to MCUEx because I found some odd behavior while debugging. I want ask if there is a way to use different/older version of GCC than one supplied with MCUExpresso installation? And If yes can I ask for help with "how to" setup whole thing?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

First warning note: this is not someting you should do, as there might be unknown side effects.

But as you asked, and if you want to try it out:

Have a look inside <installation>\ide, there is the tools folder (e.g. C:\nxp\MCUXpressoIDE_10.3.0_2200\ide\tools). Inside that one you find the build tools and all the libraries). So the approach would be to rename the original folder and place your older build tools there (assuming you have the same directory structure).

Make sure you do a 'clean' of your projects as mixing different compiler ouptut might cause issues.

If it does not work somehow, you can easily switch back with back-renaming the folders.

I have not done this with MCUXpresso IDE (but with others), but I'm confident it should work that way.

One possible issue could be that the new IDE would use some compiler/linker commands/switches which are not present in your old toolchain, but you could give it a try.

I hope this helps,

Erich

PS: I did this here in a similar way:

Switching ARM GNU Tool Chain and Libraries in Kinetis Design Studio | MCU on Eclipse 

0 Kudos