Programmed wrong image, is the chip completely dead?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programmed wrong image, is the chip completely dead?

davidsherman
Senior Contributor I

I made an oops and programmed the wrong image into a Kinetis KE18.  Pretty sure the flash configuration field was overwritten with something wrong and I cycled power.  Now the BDM can't connect to it to reprogram it.  Is there any way to recover, or will the chip have to be replaced?

0 Kudos
2 Replies

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi David,

BDM (Background Debug Mode) => SWD/JTAG?

If you have turned on 'mass erase disabled' with 'readout protection' (How (not) to Secure my Microcontroller | MCU on Eclipse), then I'm affraid you have to unsolder it as it is really bricked.

If not and if you have a J-Link, you can try to use the approach described in Unlocking and Erasing FLASH with Segger J-Link | MCU on Eclipse .

If you are using MCUXpresso IDE, it comes with a 'resurrection' tool in the GUI Flash programmer inside the IDE:

pastedImage_3.png

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

davidsherman
Senior Contributor I

Thanks Erich, yes, I have an SWD connection.  I have a P&E Multilink for the debugger.  Closest thing I have is in the debugger window in MCUXpresso there's a checkbox for "Emergency Kinetis Device Recovery by Full Chip Erase", but it's not responding.  I'll see if the newer versions of P&E's flash programmer maybe have an option to try to restore it, but it can't even connect with the version I have.

0 Kudos