cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMX7ULP clocks issue

alexandrebailon
Contributor I

Hello,

In order to implement support of interconnect API on iMX7ULP (provides similar features as busfreq),

I would like to scale some clocks.

At runtime, the framework is going to scale nic0, nic1 and ddr clocks, so I must ensure that scaling one of these clocks won't cause any glitches.
The easiest way to do this it to re-parent the clocks which use nic0, nic1, or ddr clock for their peripheral clock.
Basically, I would like to use apll_pfd0, apll_pfd1 or apll_pfd2 as peripheral clock, and apll_pfd3 as source clock of ddr (and so, nic0 and nic1).

But, for some usecases, such as display, default pfd ferquencies are too high, and this can't be used as peripheral clock.
So, I tried to reconfigure the APLL frequency, and the PFDs to have a frequency low enough to be used by peripheral clocks, but since, the display is broken.

After many tests, it looks like that if the APLL frequency is too low (although this respects TRM recommendation),

then the lcdif / dsi doesn't work, although their clocks are exactly the same.

As example, this configuration (default) work:
- PLL frequency: 529200000 Hz (mult: 22, num:1, denom: 20)
- PFD0 (and DDR) frequency: 352800000 Hz (pfd: 27)

- NIC0 (and NIC1) frequency: 176400000 Hz
- LCDIF: 25200000 Hz (640x480@60Hz)

And this one doesn't:

- PLL frequency: 392000000 Hz (mult: 16, num:1, denom: 3)
- PFD0 (and DDR) frequency: 352800000 Hz (pfd: 20)

- NIC0 (and NIC1) frequency: 176400000 Hz
- LCDIF: 25200000 Hz (640x480@60Hz)

In addition of the display that doesn't work, I have also noticed another issue: the rpmsg regulator (used to control the PF1550) stops to work, which breaks many other peripherals such uSDHC.

Could help me to figure out what could be wrong?

For reference, I use the following kernel and bootloader:
git://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/uboot-imx.git, rev rel_imx_4.14.78_1.0.0_ga
https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/linux-imx/, rev rel_imx_4.14.78_1.0.0_ga

Best Regards,

Alexandre

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Alexandre

one can look at example of frequency change on

linux/drivers/cpufreq/imx7ulp-cpufreq.c

imx7ulp-cpufreq.c\cpufreq\drivers - linux-imx - i.MX Linux kernel 

rpmsg driver

imx_rpmsg.c\rpmsg\drivers - linux-imx - i.MX Linux kernel 

Note, this part is not publicly released yet and can be supported with

NXP Professional Services | NXP 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos