How to flash the micro every time debug is entered

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to flash the micro every time debug is entered

Kratz
Contributor IV

KDS is being used to develop a M0+ project. The problem I am having is it appears when debugging, KDS does not reprogram the flash every time. Sometimes it does and sometimes it does not. It seems program changes are flashed, but setting changes do not get flashed every time. My co-worker has noticed the same behavior on his computer too. 

I almost always manually compile the software and then debug.  The software is set to compile before debug anyway.  So, is there a setting to cause KDS to flash the chip every time the debug is activated?

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Kratz
Contributor IV

Eric, The Multilink Universal is the programmer being used.  What you said about erasing certain sectors and leaving others untouched seems to be true.  Are the modified code sectors erased and re-flashed and the unchanged sectors left alone?

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Kevin,

at least in the past the P&E probe was doing a full erase of all sectors first and then programmed the changed sectors, while the J-Link one only erased the ones to be programmed. With P&E there is an option to preserve sectors, see Preserving Memory Ranges with Eclipse and P&E GDB Server | MCU on Eclipse 

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Kevin,

what are you using as debug probe? And do you mean if the device is fully erased or not? Keep in mind that e.g. with the SEGGER J-Link connection it will only erase the sectors which are used by the .elf and leaves the other ones untouched.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos