Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interfacing IMX226CQJ Image Sensor with i.MX Processors

Jump to solution
rvalvekar
Contributor III

Hello All,

I am researching into interfacing IMX226CQJ with i.MX Processors. 

1. Will I be needing any converter to convert the LVDS Signals from Image Sensor when connecting to the processor ?

2. Are there any leads i can follow, for Linux Drivers for Sony Image Sensors ?

3. Is it necessary to convert LVDS Image Sensor output to MIPI CSI or Parallel Interface ?

Since the sensor is newly designed, there is not much information about it. Would like to get a community support for the issue.

Thanks and Regards,

Rohan

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jamesbone
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Rohan,

If the this new camera has an LVDS interface as input, for sure if you want to connect with the i.MX Processor you would need an extra component,  like the  LVDS to MIPI  converter or  LVDS to CSI Parallel interface,  by the way,  I have never seen such components since the LVDS always has been as outputs, but since you are mention this is new, maybe there is already the converter also.

But I think it is better to use the MIPI Cameras, since it is basically and LVDS regarding the signal conditioning. But I do not know what new advantages would bring this new kind of cameras.

Regarding the software, this would be direct from SONY, since all the cameras has a part of embedded config that cannot change, and it is bring from the manufacturer, so you need to contact SONY to get details about the drivers that they should have.

Best Regards,

Jaime

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
rvalvekar
Contributor III

Hello Jamie,

Thank you for the reply. After getting some more information about the whole situation. I have some more questions regarding the same topic. 

1. After having the sub-LVDS signals from the camera sensors converted into Parallel Interface ready signal, I would like to connect it to the Parallel Capture Interface of the i.MX Processor. 

For Linux, I will be needing some drivers for the parallel capture. Do i need to write custom drivers after the data IO has been converted into Parallel Channel ? So do i need to connect with Sensor Bridge Manufacturers for the driver or do i need to custom design the drivers myself ?

Since the only drivers that are available with Linux Kernel are generic or OV based, it is hard to determine the timeline and the exactly driver design method for this sensor.

Thanks for the help,

Rohan 

0 Kudos
pks
Contributor I

Hello Rohan,

I wonder if you found a solution on your first question regarding the converter. I am researching this myself as well and found out possbily two solutions. The first solution is to use the Lattice MachXO3 or Crosslink to convert the output. It seems like a great idea until you dive into it. Either you will have to program the conversion yourself or you'll have to buy an IP block (which may cost a lot of money). The second solution which I'm not entirely sure about is using the ADV7782 chip to convert the output to CSI-2 (Has been mentioned here). The limited datasheet from the ADV7782 only shows that it has a 5 lane OpenLDI LVDS input. This chip might be a bottleneck for your chip as it most likely will handle up to 1080p60.

0 Kudos
rvalvekar
Contributor III

Hello Petros,

I have already checked the Lattice Solution, and it is surely possible to do it. But the thought remains that would I be needing any additional drivers to drive this Camera Sensor + Converter Chip.

0 Kudos
jamesbone
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Rohan,

If the this new camera has an LVDS interface as input, for sure if you want to connect with the i.MX Processor you would need an extra component,  like the  LVDS to MIPI  converter or  LVDS to CSI Parallel interface,  by the way,  I have never seen such components since the LVDS always has been as outputs, but since you are mention this is new, maybe there is already the converter also.

But I think it is better to use the MIPI Cameras, since it is basically and LVDS regarding the signal conditioning. But I do not know what new advantages would bring this new kind of cameras.

Regarding the software, this would be direct from SONY, since all the cameras has a part of embedded config that cannot change, and it is bring from the manufacturer, so you need to contact SONY to get details about the drivers that they should have.

Best Regards,

Jaime

0 Kudos
rvalvekar
Contributor III

Hello Jamie,

Thank you for the reply. After getting some more information about the whole situation. I have some more questions regarding the same topic. 

1. After having the sub-LVDS signals from the camera sensors converted into Parallel Interface ready signal, I would like to connect it to the Parallel Capture Interface of the i.MX Processor. 

For Linux, I will be needing some drivers for the parallel capture. Do i need to write custom drivers after the data IO has been converted into Parallel Channel ? So do i need to connect with Sensor Bridge Manufacturers for the driver or do i need to custom design the drivers myself ?

Since the only drivers that are available with Linux Kernel are generic or OV based, it is hard to determine the timeline and the exactly driver design method for this sensor.

Thanks for the help,

Rohan 

0 Kudos