for i.MX 6, are the "no debug" JTAG features available in Secure JTAG mode without need for the secret key authentication?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

for i.MX 6, are the "no debug" JTAG features available in Secure JTAG mode without need for the secret key authentication?

adamley
Contributor II

I've read the SJC chapter in one or more of the Reference Manuals for i.MX6 series processors, but have not seen this question directly addressed.

It would seem logical that the features described as accessible for "Mode 1: No Debug - Maximum Security" would also be available to "Mode 2: Secure JTAG - High Security", but this is not expressly stated.

In fact, I would just assume that to be the case except the text for Mode 2 states "Any access to JTAG port is being checked."

So,

Or,

as the cited text for Mode 2 implies, is it true that access to all JTAG features, even those permitted for Mode 1 - No Debug (particularly boundary scan), are required to be enabled using challenge/response based authentication mechanism?

Thanks.

Labels (2)
5 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Adam

for using secure jtag one can look at AN4686 Configuring Secure JTAG for the i.MX6 Series

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN4686.pdf 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

adamley
Contributor II

Hello again, Igor.

Can you confirm that the AN4686 Configuring Secure JTAG for the i.MX6 Series applies to all variants in i.MX 6 Series?

(including those based on Cortex-A7 versus Cortex-A9 and those that include +Cortex-M4)

Is there a similar document for i.MX 7 Series (I could not find one)?

What about i.MX 8 Series?

Thanks,

Adam

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Adam

yes it is the same for i.MX6,7.

For i.MX8M seems it is also the same, based on

Table 6-47. JTAG Security Level Control Bits i.MX8MDQ Reference Manual
https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/reference-manual/IMX8MDQLQRM.pdf

For other i.MX8 documentation is not yet final and full, suggest to wait for new

Reference Manual revisions, in particular QX,QM use other jtag module: JTAGC

Best regards
igor

adamley
Contributor II

Thanks Igor. That reference is quite helpful and much appreciated.

Unfortunately, I find that it remains somewhat vague as to the specific question that I posed.

At any rate, using it as a basis for discussion, it seems to me that it supports the idea that Boundary Scan (as top of the list of "No Debug" JTAG features) is always available on the chip *unless* the SJC_DISABLE fuse is burned.

I consider this-

At the highest level of SJC function, there is the SJC_DISABLE fuse

= if SJC_DISABLE is intact (0), the SJC is enabled == JTAG features are available according to JTAG_SMODE

At the next level of SJC function, there is the JTAG_SMODE fuse pair, of which the MSB appears to be superior

= if both JTAG_SMODE fuses are intact (00), all JTAG features are enabled

= if JTAG_SMODE MSB|LSB fuses are intact|burnt (01), secret key is required to access security-sensitive JTAG features

= if JTAG_SMODE MSB|LSB fuses are burnt (11), only those JTAG features that are *not* security-sensitive are accessible

Since there is no definition for the case where only MSB is burnt, I view it as superior. Begging the question, however, what behavior should I expect for that case:

= if JTAG_SMODE MSB|LSB fuses are burnt|intact (10), ???

And/or, is it even possible to burn the fuses in that way?

Given the understanding that I have described, would it be fair to view the JTAG_SMODE fuses as follows?

MSB = disable access to security-sensitive JTAG features

LSB = require use of secret key for security-sensitive JTAG features

in either event, JTAG features that are *not* security-sensitive are always accessible (unless SJC_DISABLE fuse is burnt)

Thanks,

Adam

0 Kudos

adamley
Contributor II

Can anyone affirm (or debunk) the any of assertions I've made above??

AND, in particular, can anyone definitively answer these questions:

1. Is Boundary Scan available for all valid JTAG_SMODE settings? [ Yes | No ]

(presuming SJC_DISABLE is intact, of course)

(note: the '10' setting is documented as "Reserved", so need not be considered)

2. Presuming that Boundary Scan is available for JTAG_SMODE=='01' (Mode #2, Secure JTAG), is it required that the challenge/response mechanism be satisfied in order to operate Boundary Scan, or is it always available? [ Yes | No ]

(which questions, though with slightly different phrasing, were also put in the original posting, but remain unanswered)

Thanks,

Adam

0 Kudos