imx6q sabre board only works with factory sd

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imx6q sabre board only works with factory sd

dluberger
Contributor V

I have yocto setup and running and have done multiple builds for other eval boards and custom boards for different processors.  This is the first time I can't get an eval board to boot from the yocto sdcard image. In yocto, i'm setting the board as imx6qsabresd. I'm using a new build folder, so it appears the entire project is building from scratch.  I was thinking maybe I had some customization with u-boot in other distros (although that would have happened in that other build folder) so i used the cleansstate command with the u-boot-imx recipe, but that didn't help either.

I also notice that I can't see or mount the sdcard that came with the imx6q sabre board, even though that card boots fine, but in u-boot if i attempt "ls mmc 1" it says it can't read ext2 partition (but again it works fine).  I notice that in my build/tmp/deploy/imx6qsabresd folder where the sdcard image is, there's an ext4 image.  could the issue be that (even though the factory-supplied sdcard u-boot bootloader can't read ext2 partitions) the sd card partition(s) need to be in ext2 format?

I'm really at a loss as to why the factory-supplied sd card that has android on it works fine, but the sdcard image with linux i build with yocto from scratch in a new build folder doesn't work at all.

0 Kudos
2 Replies

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello David Luberger,

It is odd that the image you built is not working correctly when the board is working fine with the Android SD card. Are you loading the image using the dd command to write the .sdcard file to the SD card? Would you please provide more details on this and the BSP you are using?

It may seem an odd suggestion but have you tried loading the .sdcard image to a different SD card? It’s rare but sometimes the SD cards may be damaged, albeit usually you can “fix them” by formatting them with fdisk or another tool.

As for some of your questions, the partitions may be .ext3 or .ext4 so this should not be a problem. The Android SD card may not be completely accessible due to security constraints in some of the partitions.

Regards,

0 Kudos

dluberger
Contributor V

I'm not sure what's causing the problem, but I found that if I run gparted and delete all existing partitions and then run the dd command, the card boots fine.  i've never had to do that before, but that seems to work consistently now.

0 Kudos