cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rapid IoT new i2c sensor

mtuxpe
Contributor III

Hello all,

Is there any way to include a new sensor on Rapid IoT studio ?

On Atmosphere IDE I found I2C element Icon.

Is i2c element also available on Rapid IoT ?

I2C Element 

Labels (1)
12 Replies

richard_laborde
Contributor III

There will be a new feature in a coming release of Rapid IoT Studio which will allow you to create your own EEL (Embedded Element Library) and import it into your project. 

mhanuel
Contributor II

That will be great, do you have an estimate release date ? 

0 Kudos

richard_laborde
Contributor III

The release is in internal testing now. If all goes well, it should be available within 2 weeks.

0 Kudos

mhanuel
Contributor II

Hello Richard,

It's been more than one month, I was checking the online IDE but seems it hasn't the new feature of Embedded Element Library. Would it be possible to access a Beta release?

Will appreciate your response,

Cheers,

0 Kudos

richard_laborde
Contributor III

That release happened several weeks ago. Look for the Import button in the Element Library Manager. The EEL builder information is on Github. More information can be found here - Using SPI with ESP32 in Atmosphere IOT - Atmosphere Studio IDE - Atmosphere IoT Developer 

0 Kudos

mhanuel
Contributor II

Hello Estephania,

I had similar question, not sure but it seems difficult to keep up new developments using the web application since it's somehow cumbersome to modify. 

For example the I2C sensor, which should be straightforward in MCUExpresso, is there any way to do it under the web Ide?

The only documentation I have found is the Atmo API, I guess you add a function icon and give it a name, i.e. VEML6070. Then under the source code (found when you click the symbol </>) a function skeleton is generated, that is

ATMO_Status_t VEML6070_trigger(ATMO_Value_t *in, ATMO_Value_t *out) {
return ATMO_Status_Success;
}

Trying to modify the code using web IDE seems not possible. Is this correct? If so this is very inconvenient.

I have noticed that for example I can create a trigger readUVLight, following a similar approach of the ambient sensor, the function prototype should look like this

ATMO_Status_t VEML6070_readAmbientLight(ATMO_Value_t *in, ATMO_Value_t *out);

But I cannot add it under web IDE.  So should I do it under MCUExpresso and later import the code to Web IDE?

Also I have noticed a function called Setup for the already existing sensors, i.e. 

Also it will be nice to be able to create a sensor and share it under Web IDE, so not depend only on Microelectronika developers or Atmosphere to upload new drivers.

Please let us know your thoughts,

theophileleroy
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Just some remarks

So should I do it under MCUExpresso and later import the code to Web IDE?

You can export from NXP Studio the source code to a zip file but not the other way around. You can not import back MCUXpresso project sources into Online Studio.

Only .atmo file that describes the project content can be imported under Studio.

Trying to modify the code using web IDE seems not possible

You can modify already existing function depending on what you are using in your project, and if you want to develop some new code, you can use function element.

Regards,

Theophile

0 Kudos

mtuxpe
Contributor III

I am going to solder i2c wires to connect this sensor and write code for VEML sensor.It is possible to export a mcuexpresso code to the rapid iot ide ?

0 Kudos

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Do you mean adding the features you have in MCUXpreso to the online IDE? 

0 Kudos

mtuxpe
Contributor III

Hi Estephania,

From Rapid IoT Studio features documentation:

NXP Rapid IoT Prototyping Kit|NXP 

"Automatic source code & project generation for MCUXpresso IDE/SDK"

I wonder if I can generate my Rapid IoT project with BLE(Bluetooth Low Energy) + display + i2c sensor.

Then change source code for i2c sensor to support VEML6070 sensor.

To generate and test  entire project  using only MCUXpresso takes a long time.

I still do not have the Rapid IoT available to test.

0 Kudos

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, 

Which type of sensor are you looking for? Have you checked the different click boards compatible with of the rapid-iot ? 

Regards, 

Estephania 

0 Kudos

mtuxpe
Contributor III

Hi Estephania,

Vishay UV index sensor VEML6070 or VEML6075.

0 Kudos