cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugging I.MX RT 1050 with MCUXpresso

Jump to solution
adicarlo
Contributor II

I read that MCUXpresso does not support software breakpoints for code placed in Flash (e.g. QSPI NOR Flash). Is this true?

This can be a significant limitation (when available HW breakpoints are not enough), since we would like to use XIP from QSPI Flash, and code size will be significantly bigger than internal RAM size.

I read that Segger tools can place SW break points in Flash (it is a matter of being able to rewrite flash sectors), is there any plan to include this feature in next MCUXpresso release(s) ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

'Software breakpoints in flash' (Software and Hardware Breakpoints | MCU on Eclipse) are currently only supported with the SEGGER J-Link debug probes which are supported in the MCUXpresso IDE. But this is not available say with the LinkServer and the P&E debug probes: for these as you say it will use hardware breakpoints. The i.MX RT has a decent number of HW breakpoints, so this might not be a real limitiation. Or just use a J-Link with MCUXpresso IDE if you really want to use this.

I hope this helps,

Erich

View solution in original post

1 Reply
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

'Software breakpoints in flash' (Software and Hardware Breakpoints | MCU on Eclipse) are currently only supported with the SEGGER J-Link debug probes which are supported in the MCUXpresso IDE. But this is not available say with the LinkServer and the P&E debug probes: for these as you say it will use hardware breakpoints. The i.MX RT has a decent number of HW breakpoints, so this might not be a real limitiation. Or just use a J-Link with MCUXpresso IDE if you really want to use this.

I hope this helps,

Erich