Is it possible to merge MFRC522 with MCP2221 via I2C?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to merge MFRC522 with MCP2221 via I2C?

mpawelec
Contributor I

Hello there!

I'm into a research on how to make a NFC device that can be pluged in the PC's USB port but would not be obsolete too soon. Device shall run on linux. As the matter of fact I already own a MCP2221 USB dongle which sees I2C devices attached to it. Also obtained an arduino-like board with 522 IC hardwired to be an SPI device. According to documentation it is possible to rewire 522 focusing on pins: 1 and 32. Someone somewhere on the internet mentioned he was able to communicate with 522 via I2C only detaching GND out of pin 1 and connecting it to 3.3V and detaching pin 32 and leaving it hanging around. Well... what about address pins? Reset? Do you have any more hints on how to wire it up to be a proper I2C device?

Regards,

Marty

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Please kindly refer to https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/MFRC522.pdf  for more details on this part, but this is an old product which we don't recommend for new design. For new designs we recommend MFRC630. You may refer to MFRC630 | High-performance MIFARE and NTAG Frontend for Access|NXP  for details.

Have a great day,
Kan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos