cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partitioning D-Flash of MC9S12XEP100

haricharanreddy
Contributor II

Hi All,

I am using "MC9S12XEP100" family device (S912XEA128J2MAA) I want to use  flash Emulated EEPROM for my application for this I want to use D-Flash. while I am going through Application Note 3490.  I came across these two terms

1.Full Partition D-Flash.

2.Partition D-Flash.

I am unable to differentiate  between these 2 terms . So,Please explain me in layman terms.

Thanks in Advance:smileyhappy:

Regards

Hari Charan.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

RadekS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Hari,

In layman's terms (thank you for a new term in my vocabulary):

Both commands do a D-Flash partitioning.

The Full Partition D-Flash command erases D-Flash prior partitioning automatically (Partition D-Flash command needs D-Flash erased prior execution). On another side, the Full Partition D-Flash command can be executed only in the special mode (with BDM debugger). 

So, you may use Full Partition D-Flash command during the debugging phase for making it less complicated.

For production, you should use Partition D-Flash command which may run also in normal mode (without debugger).

Note: the simplest way how to erase partitioning configuration is an execution of the Unsecure command (by CW or by the Unsecure12 utility from PEmicro).

Please look at the short description in the attached file (examples + description).

Please, be aware that partition command must be executed uninterrupted. Unfortunately, interrupted partition command may cause late EEE stop functionality. I attached also the example with the description of how to check whether partition command was finished correctly or not for your reference.

I hope it helps you

Have a great day,
Radek

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

haricharanreddy
Contributor II

Thanks Radek for explanation. I have another Doubt while going through Application Note 3490  

for Full Partition D-flash 

pastedImage_2.png

What is meant by Special Mode here? How to keep MCU running in Special Mode?

Please Explain my above query with an Example.

Thanks in Advance:smileyhappy:

Regards

Hari Charan

0 Kudos

dianabatrlova
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Hari,

We can say that the Special Mode is used for debugging (when BDM is connected).

And Normal Mode is when BDM is unconnected and the code is running without the debugger.

I hope it helps you.

Best Regards,

Diana

0 Kudos

haricharanreddy
Contributor II

Hi Diana,

Thanks for your reply, Does I need to Take care anything in Startup code of my project for Emulation OF EEPROM 

Regards

Haricharan

0 Kudos

dianabatrlova
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Haricharan,

Let me apologize for the delay. I do not think you should take care about startup code in Start12.c.

You can look at the example and EEPROM-XEP100.docx above from Radek and also, Emulated EEPROM Quick Start Guide can be useful: https://www.nxp.com/files-static/microcontrollers/doc/app_note/AN3743.pdf 

Best Regards,

Diana

0 Kudos