cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAG3110&FXOS8700CQ

zhouapple2013
Contributor I

HELLO sir:

I have meet one question about MAG3110. In my device,if one material with strong magnet approaching the MAG3110 chip,my device can't come back to normal operation when the material leaved this chip. Now it can't test the right magnet and dispaly very large number.Now I have some question:

1.   This condition is the chip problem or my using problem?   (when use this chip I have done the calibration)

2.   FXOS8700CQ hcve the same proble isn't it?

3.   The fail is that because magnet exceed the rang of chip and damage this chip.Right?

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

lisettelozano
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

The magnetometers are sensible to hard-iron effects; which are magnetic-interference effects that are due to materials which have permanent magnetism. Such effects can be detected as offset shifts in one or more of the axes and through mathematical algorithms be compensated for.

For the MAG3110, when it is exposed to strong magnetic fields, the sensing element may get magnetically contaminated. The MAG3110 sensor has a reset mechanism to get rid of effects of this exposure. It’s recommended that CTRL_REG2 bit 7 (AUTO_MRST_EN) be set in the initialization routines of your application before starting to acquire any measurements.

In the case of the FXOS8700CQ, bringing a magnet in close proximity to the device may result in permanently damaging the sensor. This sensor has the Magnetometer vector-magnitude function which helps on the detection of magnetic jamming and can be used to notify the end-user that the compass readings may not be reliable due to magnetic interference, or that a new calibration is required to compensate for the presence of the magnet. For more details please check AN4458.

I hope this information can be helpful and please accept our apologies for the delayed response.

Have a great day,

Paulina

0 Kudos