Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.mx6q boot mode dynamicly change

Jump to solution
cgperson
Contributor II

Hi,

In my new design with i.mx6q processor, user can not change the boot mode manually because the mainboard with ARM is installed in a box which not allowed to open. Then I have to find a way to change these boot mode pins in system.

I need to upload the new linux image to ARM by USB otg connect to PC, then dynamicly switch all boot modes to support emmc boot mode which is the normal boot mode. I can provide several GPIOs on a USB bridge chip which controlled by USB host as boot mode control pins. 

This is a very original idea. Are these any guidence to support my solution? Simply, I need to connect USB cable to upload linux image to ARM, as soon as I disconnect the cable and restart the ARM, it should be boot from emmc.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
turker
Contributor IV

There is a bmode command for U-Boot to force booting from another media. It might be helpful in your case.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
turker
Contributor IV

There is a bmode command for U-Boot to force booting from another media. It might be helpful in your case.

0 Kudos
cgperson
Contributor II

These 2 registers are read only according to maunal. 

But this is a new tip : software reset!

Is these any register can be configured and override boot mode pins? 

Simply, I can do this produres : insert a SD card with new image -> trigger the software to generate a reset -> boot from SD card and upload the image to emmc which is the default boot device -> recover to emmc root and then work in normal operations.

Tablet PC support this upload. So that i.mx6 should also support this. Any solution to this? 

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

this is not Tablet PC and quite different product,

unfortunately there is no any register for overriding boot mode pins and software

(or any other kind of it) will not help.

Some processors, like i.MX6SL have "SD/MMC Manufacture Mode"

which may be helpful in implementing such kind of task.

Best regards
igor

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jie

as possible workaround one can try to write manually new

boot mode to SRC_SBMR1,2 registers described in Chapter
System Reset Controller (SRC) Reference Manual.

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
cgperson
Contributor II

These 2 registers are read only according to maunal. 

But this is a new tip : software reset!

Is these any register can be configured and override boot mode pins? 

Simply, I can do this produres : insert a SD card with new image -> trigger the software to generate a reset -> boot from SD card and upload the image to emmc which is the default boot device -> recover to emmc root and then work in normal operations.

Tablet PC support this upload. So that i.mx6 should also support this. Any solution to this? 

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I am afraid there is no any register for overriding boot mode pins.

0 Kudos