cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use the zigbee communication ?

luc_de_pauw
Contributor III

Hello,

Where can I find an example on how to use the zigbee communication with the Rapid IOT kit, cant' find it in the online IDE  (only BLE/thread) and did not found an example in the MCUXpresso SDK.

I would like to connect to a zigbee light link network.

Regards

Luc De pauw

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
4 Replies

frq05186
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Luc,

Our apologies for the late answer.

We are right now developping Embedded code example to connect 2 kits via ZigBee. It has low prio because BLE and Thread are available as elements already.

This code will not be available via Rapid IoT Studio but will be posted in the community as soon as available and validated. (few weeks from now)

Eric

luc_de_pauw
Contributor III

Thanks Maurice for the honest answer. Hopefully you post an update here as soon as this code is available.

Pitty it's not yet here, I received the Rapid IOT board for the Elektor embedded board competion, so sadly won't make the deadline.

0 Kudos

andres_santos
Contributor I

What exactly is thread? is it BLE with mesh? and what is the max distance of thread?, can 2 devices connect with thread without using another gateway?, and also what is the distance of zigbee? I think it would be better to share what you have on zigbee, I wouldn't mind not having examples

0 Kudos

frq05186
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Andres,

Many questions,

Long answers to be sharp.

Being really honnest, (and not selling anything) I found the NXP video on those topics really cool and clear.

https://www.nxp.com/video/lesson-0-an-introduction-to-the-course-and-meet-your-trainer:LESSON-0-KW41...

Lessons 6 to 9 will give detailed answers to your questions - Is quite long, maybe you can skip some sections.

Short anwers:

• Thread = BLE with mesh: no. .
  • Typically BLE mesh, Zigbee and Thread are competing technologies.  Each is offering a different compromise (Power, range, security, IPv6, payload....)
  • From communication distance they are ballpark  all 3 the same (not considering all variants, optimizations... in the range of 10m)
  • Can you have 2 devices communication in Thread wo Gateway: Yes.

We will do our best to release Zigbee functional example asap.

0 Kudos