cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial Downloader Protocol (i.MX6ULL/i.MX7D) clarification

stephenbialkows
Contributor III

Hello,

It appears as thought the SDP has gone through some significant changes since the MX25.  If I remember correctly, I would send a few magic commands, the DCD, and eventually an application image, that would be burned directly to NAND flash. 

I am now targeting custom i.MX6ULL and i.MX7dual targets.  After reviewing the current mfgtool, it seems that U-Boot is the preferred mechanism to dd the image to non-volatile storage.  I wonder if this is only an effort to keep the mfgtool target agnostic.  And if so, it stands to wonder whether the old capabilities still exist.  This is a long winded way of getting to my question: do either of these targets have the ability to write to SPI NOR flash without any extra software?  Please clarify for both targets if it's not too much trouble.  

Thanks!

Stephen

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

It is still possible to use the SDP for both i.MX6ULL and i.MX7dual.

Customers can use i.MX USB Loader itself or refer to its sources, if they

want to create own tool. Also use description of Serial Downloader  and its

protocol description in the corresponding Reference Manuals.

i.MX USB Loader 

Have a great day,

Yuri

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer

button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

stephenbialkows
Contributor III

Thanks Yuri.

I ran into a few problems when trying to use my SDP host code to burn an image into the spi flash. The first was the MX6ULL appears to have only one IN endpoint. Is it possible to get the SDP code on the iMX6 and 7?

Stephen

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

Sources of i.MX boot ROM are not available (mainly because of HAB).

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos

stephenbialkows
Contributor III

I understand. How does one go about enabling endpoint 0 for usb io on the mx6ull? It’s possible I overlooked this detail. I just want to prevent any unnecessary waiting for a response in case an answer is required.

Stephen

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Perhaps it would be easier to use UART first.

~Yuri.

0 Kudos

stephenbialkows
Contributor III

Yuri,

I understand no one has all the answers. You have been very helpful when you have taken the time to answer my questions in the past. I asked a very specific question. In the future, it would be helpful to know you acknowledged it, and whether you planned to follow up (assuming you’re too busy at the moment).

Stephen

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

You may create request.

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos