AnsweredAssumed Answered

RPROVIDES_kernel-base overwrite warning with builtin vivante driver [Yocto sumo]

Question asked by Travis Rothlisberger on Oct 5, 2018
Latest reply on Oct 10, 2018 by gusarambula

When MACHINE_HAS_VIVANTE_KERNEL_DRIVER_SUPPORT =1 and MACHINE_USES_VIVANTE_KERNEL_DRIVER_MODULE = 0, the kernel build process generates a warning that:

Variable key RPROVIDES_${KERNEL_PACKAGE_NAME}-base ( ${KERNEL_PACKAGE_NAME}-${KERNEL_VERSION}) replaces original key RPROVIDES_kernel-base

I believe that this comes from the fact that meta-freescale/classes/fsl-vivante-kernel-driver-handler.bbclass tries to append ' kernel-module-imx-gpu-viv' to RPROVIDES_kernel-base by adding a handler to bb.event.RecipePreFinalise. poky/bitbake/lib/bb/parse/ast.py fires the RecipePreFinalise event before bb.data.expandKeys, so that the attempt to append to RPROVIDES_kernel-base in fsl-vivante-kernel-driver-handler.bbclass actually sets the initial value and is overwritten when RPROVIDES_${KERNEL_PACKAGE_NAME}-base is expanded. I have found that this can be resolved by changing fsl-vivante-kernel-driver-handler.bbclass to use the RecipeTaskPreProcess event, or by changing the appendVar call to use RPROVIDES_${KERNEL_PACKAGE_NAME}-base. I anticipate that the latter is the preferred solution, but I'm not confident that I know enough to say whether that is the case. If somebody more informed than me can confirm my understanding of the issue and the proper correction, I will submit the patch. Thanks.

Outcomes