Possible counterfeit Freescale 68K (Help Identify)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible counterfeit Freescale 68K (Help Identify)

jclark_uk
Contributor I

Hi, so I have an MC68EC020FG25 on a device that I purchased some time this year. It has a date code of 1509 and a mask of 2F37E. 

It is my understanding that Freescale ceased production of the 020 line in 2010, and that e2v (who took the remaining wafers) only produced CERQUAD. It carries the Freescale logo, but is *just* (a matter of months?) before the takeover by NXP.

I believe this item is counterfeit - but i'd appreciate input from you guys specifically for reasons that should be obvious. 

So... to put the question simply: Is it at all possible to have a *genuine* Freescale EC020FG25 manufactured in 2015?

Cheers for ya time, all!

John

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

miduo
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

I am not sure where you bought that part. Actually we do not give any "judgement" on this issue. Please see below announcements.

Untitled.jpg

0 Kudos

jclark_uk
Contributor I

I did not purchase the part. The part was already on an electronic device not constructed by me which I purchased from an online store.

I understand you do not pass judgement, but can you not tell me whether Freescale/NXP were producing the MC68EC020FG25 in PQFP as late as 2015?

The website says discontinued - but it does not say when it was discontinued. This information alone would be adequate in determining the chips authenticity.

Again - I am not the purchaser of the part. I do not know which distributor the part was purchased from. I purchased a device including the part. 

In summary, my question is - when was the 68EC020FG25 (or indeed the FG16) in PQFP discontinued by Freescale/NXP.

Many thanks and kind regards! 

John

0 Kudos

eric_limbert
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Freescale stopped taking orders for MC68EC020FG25 in 2006.  I cannot tell you when Freescale made the last MC68EC020FG25.

0 Kudos

jclark_uk
Contributor I

Thank you so much Eric, that is actually a lot earlier than i thought. 

It's probable that 2015 is way too late to roll out of a fab then. 

I should mention the chip I have here also has a very smooth and silky surface, and a 'mottled' bottom, which is also a sign of counterfeiting. (Sanding off before blacktopping)

I shall let the manufacturers of the device know that they are likely being supplied with counterfeit chips.

Cheers,

John

0 Kudos