KW41Z Hybrid BLE + 802.15.4 coordinator example does not work

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KW41Z Hybrid BLE + 802.15.4 coordinator example does not work

hazeman
Contributor II

Has anyone got the example project below working because I cannot?

frdmkw41z/wireless_examples/hybrid/ble_802_15_4_fsci_black_box_bm

This project appears to have been used in "https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN12231.pdf " where it appears to work fine.

I have imported the project from the SDK.

It builds and downloads fine to my FDRM-KW41Z development PCB. When I start it LED4 starts flashing as it should according to the document "Bluetooth Low Energy Demo Application Users Guide".

At this point it should have started a 802.15.4 coordinator and be waiting for a button press on SW4. The problems:

1. The coordinator is not running. I used a packet sniffer on every available channel to check for a response to a beacon request. Nothing.

2. Pressing SW4 does not stop the LED flashing nor does it appear in a bluetooth scan.

My colleague has tried it to same effect.

Looking at the code there does not appear to be anything to do with a coordinator - no Pan or node ID.

My System:

Windows 10

MCUXpresso IDE v10.0.0 [Build 344] [2017-03-21]

SDK_2._FRDM-KW41Z V2.2.0

Considering the emphasis placed on multi-protocol there seems to be little information on how to make this work?

kind regards

Liam

Labels (1)
3 Replies

georgecapraru
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello.

The project used by the AN12231 is a hybrid BLE (Heart Rate Sensor) - 802.15.4 (My Wireless App Coordinator) demo.

This demo application have been removed from the KW41 release.

The /hybrid/ble_802_15_4_fsci_black_box_bm is not the same as the one from above. It is intended to be used with a host processor or PC.

Regards,

George

0 Kudos

alexstefan
Contributor III

Are there any plans for this to be added back? I'm considering running the 802.15.4 + BLE as I don't need all the overhead of either ZigBee or Thread. Since this is the only hybrid configuration that doesn't have an example application, is it safe to assume there are technical reasons why it won't work? Do you mind explaining them here?

0 Kudos

georgecapraru
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi. You can achieve a basic 802.15.4 + BLE hybrid application starting from any hybrid demo, by removing the ZibBee/Thread sources and libraries.

There is no technical reason why this hybrid configuration won't work.

I do not know the reason of removing the AN12231 hybrid demo from the package.

Regards,

George