Why can't I import a .mex file into the MCUXPresso IDE?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I import a .mex file into the MCUXPresso IDE?

bikenomad
Contributor III

I recently configured a project using a MKE18F512VLL16 processor using the most recent version of the standalone MCUXpresso Config Tool (on Mac OS/X if it matters).

I then decided to use the MCUXpresso IDE, which I downloaded and installed. I then generated an SDK for this processor and dropped it onto the "Installed SDKs" view to install it.

After creating a new project in the IDE for the processor I'd selected, I tried to import the .mex file that I'd previously created.

Unfortunately, this failed with a message "Unsupported target project. Target processor is not supported in current version of the Config Tools.".

This is clearly incorrect, as the file was created by a current version of the Config Tools.

What can I do to fix this?

Both the MCUXpresso IDE and the Config Tools package were downloaded within the last week from NXP's web site.

Labels (1)
4 Replies

liborukropec
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Ned,

could you provide more details? I did quick test and I was able to create an empty New project for MKE18F512xxx16 using the "New project..." Wizard, then opened the Config Tools in IDE and after that I imported MEX file which I did in a stand-alone config tools v4.1.

Please let me know

1) IDE is also on Mac OS?

2) Did you create the Eclipse project using:

a) "New Project..." wizard, is yes, which board?

b) or did you "Import an SDK example" - if yes, which one?

3) could you attach here the created Eclipse project + the MEX which you want to import?

Thank you and best regards,

Libor

0 Kudos

bikenomad
Contributor III

The IDE is also running on Mac OS.

I created the Eclipse project using "New Project" and chose just the processor (I'm developing for a board I designed).

I've attached the Eclipse project and .mex file.

Thanks!

0 Kudos

liborukropec
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Ned,

I used the Mac OS version of the IDE (10.2.1_795) without any problem.

pastedImage_1.png

Your attached project does not have the board/ folder, so the config tools cannot be started for this project (configuration is parsed from pins and clocks C sources in that folder). Anyway, I created bare project, clicked in Project view on COnfig Tools icon - see screenshot:

pastedImage_2.png

The MEX file has been created based on the configuration stored in C sources (in YAML format).

Then I'm able to import configuration from your mex:

pastedImage_3.png

Did you follow the same steps?

By the way, if you want to use complete configuration from stand-alone version, you can just delete the MEX file inside the eclipse project and simply copy&paste your MEX into the project, it will be used by the config tools.

If also this does not work for you, please share with us thise log file:  <workspace>/.metadata/.log ?

Thank you and regards,

Libor

Regards,

Libor

0 Kudos

shareefjalloq
Contributor II

I've just run into this same issue and have lost quite a bit of time trying to find the solution.  From your description above it seems you should get the tool to automatically create the board/ folder if it doesn't already exist.

My flow was that I created a new project for a custom board by following the steps:

1. File->New Project

2. MCUXpresso IDE->New C/C++ Project

3. Select Preinstalled CPU->LPC8XX->LPC812

4. Select LPCOpen - C Project

5. Select lpc_chip_8xx for the LPCOpen Chip Library Project

6. Click through to finish.

This creates a project with only a src/ directory and it has a number of side effects such as you can't launch the Config Tools from within the IDE and neither can you can't import a .mex file.  Only when I generated a MEX file externally in the standalone Config Tools and then copied it into the project hierarchy could I then get the IDE to work.

Actually, I've just tried creating the board/ directory myself and repeated trying to open the Config Tools but it still fails.  Clicking on the Config Tools icon from the Project Explorer results in an error, "No MEX Configuration Found".  So you're doing something extra in your steps above.

Shareef.

0 Kudos