AnsweredAssumed Answered

Minimal environment for MKL03Z8VFG4  (development & production programming)

Question asked by baxsie on Sep 29, 2018
Latest reply on Oct 4, 2018 by Mark Butcher

I'm just starting with MKL03Z8VFG4. I have a FRDM-KL03Z on order, and I am slowly crunching through the reference manual on the MKL03Z8VFG4.

I currently have an ATTINY412-SSNR on the project, coded, doing its thing, but need like two more pins, and that tips the balance over to the MKL03Z8VFG4 -- plus as a company we are trying to standardize on ARM architecture.

On the software side, I assume MCUXpresso is what everybody is using? Or have the cool kids found something better?

Here are my initial questions that I have:

1) What is the minimal connector for hardware debug/programming during development?

From the "FRDM-KL03Z 5.2.1 Debugging interface" I assume that I need: +3.3v, GND, SWD_IO, SWD_CLK, and RST. This also echoes the PSoC4 development interface.

2) What is the best supported / most popular hardware that I need for debug/programming during development?

I  have heard the J-Link and OpenSDA mentioned. I will have a FRDM-KL03Z that I assume can program its own micro, can the FRDM-KL03Z also reprogram an external micro on my board? After years of blind programming, I do want the luxury of to be able to single step through the code. The PSoC4 uses something called a MiniProg3 that allows all this, is there a similar NXP product?

3) What is the best method for production in the 1000 of units range?

Since this MKL03Z8VFG4 has a bootloader in it, and my application code is small (less than 8K, right?), I think this approach might work well. Is there an NXP example source code that programs the chip through the bootloader?

Background: For one STM32 ARM based product we make I wrote a PC utility that talks to the device's serial bootloader through a USB adapter. The adapter is a simple FTDI FT232RL based board that provides Rx, Tx and two additional control lines (RTS & DTR) that are connected to RST and nBOOT pins of the STM32. That gives the PC-based programmer complete control over resetting the micro without the operators having to hold buttons or sequence power.

4) What is the minimal connector for serial production programming through the bootloader?

I assume I would need 3.3v, GND, Tx, Rx, and RST, but I think there must also be one other pin to tell the MKL03Z8VFG4 to boot into the ROM instead of the flash.

Thank you for any help or suggestions you can offer.

Outcomes