AnsweredAssumed Answered

Using ethernet port on BD-SL-imx6 results in console connection getting lost and reboot of the device

Question asked by imx learner on Sep 27, 2018
Latest reply on Oct 5, 2018 by Gary Bisson

Hello,

I am using BD-SL-iMX6 with Debian stretch, kernel 4.9.x . https://boundarydevices.com/debian-stretch-9-0/

I enabled some kernel config to get the `netem` tool working.

Right now following are the observations on BD-SL-imx6 board:

1. Without the LAN cable plugged in the board, everything works fine - the bootup, running gst-commands, access from PC via serial console etc.
  2. When the LAN cable is plugged in, the board restarts automatically, and the connection to PC via serial console is blocked. I cannot access the board using the console from my PC.
  3. This behaviour is observed till the LAN cable is plugged out, after which the console works again and there are no issues.

I do not understand why inserting a LAN cable affects the console and leads to reboot of board. I have tried flashing the old kernel image, without any modification and it still shows the same behavior. 

I particularly see this message during bootup :

Starting kernel ...
imx6q-pcie 1ffc000.pcie: phy link never came up
imx6q-pcie 1ffc000.pcie: failed to initialize host
ldb 2000000.aips-bus:ldb@020e0008: failed to find valid LVDS channel
mdio_bus 2188000.ethernet-1: /soc/aips-bus@02100000/ethernet@02188000/mdio/ethes
imx-sgtl5000 sound: ASoC: Cannot get gpio at index 0: -2
Loading, please wait...
starting version 232
Begin: Loading essential drivers ... done.
Begin: Running /scripts/init-premount ... done.
Begin: Mounting root file system ... Begin: Running /scripts/local-top ... done.
Begin: Running /scripts/local-premount ... done.
Begin: Will now check root file system ... fsck from util-linux 2.29.2
[/sbin/fsck.ext4 (1) -- /dev/mmcblk1p1] fsck.ext4 -a -C0 /dev/mmcblk1p1
sys-19h: recovering journal
sys-19h: clean, 58927/230608 files, 481406/921344 blocks
done.
done.

I fail to understand the reason for the behaviour of ethernet port here. Does anyone have any hints?

Outcomes