core-image-sato doesn't show desktop on lcd display

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

core-image-sato doesn't show desktop on lcd display

dluberger
Contributor V

I build core-image-sato with yocto, and despite it being setup with my board imx6ulevk it created the sdcard image in imx6sqsabre.  i wrote the sd card image anyway and simply overwrote with my custom u-boot, kernel, and device tree. The device boots but all i get is a white screen.  when i try to run xstart or xinit from the etc folder, it says there was a failure on the display /dev/fb0. i can only guess that there's some mismatch between the kernel and the filesystem where the filesystem doesn't know where my display is.  I'm not sure if /dev/fb0 is correct, and if i set the kernel to use tty0 as the console, the kernel loading text appears on my display, so that makes me think maybe X11 should be configured to use /dev/tty0?  how can i get the sato desktop to appear on my LCD?  It's a 5" 800x480 parallel lcd, using the imx6ul LCDIF interface.  It's setup correctly in the bootloader and device tree, as using this kernel, device tree, and bootloader works with at least one other filesystem I've tried (linaro debian jessie).

2 Replies

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello David Luberger,

Are still experiencing issues with this image?

The steps seem correct. Have you also changed the boot arguments so the right device tree and video options are used?

Regards,

0 Kudos

dluberger
Contributor V

Sorry I didn't get an alert that you responded.  I gave up on the yocto sato image and used buildroot instead. With the yocto image, the problem is that (as I've complained about in other posts) there is no clear documentation on how to bring up my custom hardware using yocto.  Everything just tells me to compile one of a small handful of images with bitbake (e.g., bitbake core-image-sato) so of course there's no customization of the build for my hardware.  It was way easier to simply compile u-boot and the kernel/device tree from source using make board_defconfig where I can modify the device tree directly and modify build specs with menuconfig. Yocto "documentation" tells me nothing on how to customize things for my specific hardware, and what's worse, it take many hours to build. I've tried a few images like fsl-image-gui, etc etc. but I already know going into the build that my time will be wasted because naturally when i load the sdcard image it doesn't work with my hardware.