srec format

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

srec format

henryzhang62
Contributor I

I am using CodeWarrior version 11 for MCF52259. S19 file is generated after build.

My question is how to convert S19 format to s19 and srec format.

Thanks.

---henry

0 Kudos
8 Replies

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Henry,

The S19 file is alreacy in the S-Record format. S19, s19, srec, Motorola S-Record are all the same thing.

Erich

0 Kudos

henryzhang62
Contributor I

Erich,

But I have seen image for MCF52233 is s19 and for MCF52259 is srec.

Is any way to convert each other?

---henry

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Henry.

As Erich said, S19, s19, srec are the same thing. For example, you want to convert output.S19 to output.s19, you just need rename the extension, renaming file extension from .S19 to .s19 is enough.

Best Regards

Jennie Zhang

0 Kudos

henryzhang62
Contributor I

Jennie,

Thanks for support.

I import a package (MCF52259) created by CW 10.2 to CW 11 on Windows.

My CW11 could create S19 and elf files.

Here is my questions:

1. How do I know if S19 file contains bootloader for MCF52259 or not?

2. When build, I see ram or flash option. When I debug or run, I should select ram to build. am I right?

---henry

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Henry,

To answer your questions

1. To know if a s19 contains bootloader, you need to know where is your bootloader memory address and the the srecord data generated by bootloader. Thus open your s19 file with notepad, see if the related address contain bootloader code.

2. when select RAM, code is downloaded to RAM during debug. the code will be gone once power off.

if select FLASH, Code is downloaded to FLASH. code is still in flash even power off.

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

henryzhang62
Contributor I

Jennie,

CW11 always generates s19 file with S3 format.

Is there anyway to convert S3 to S1 and S2 format?

---henry

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Henry,

you can use the Burner utility, see S-Record Manipulation with GNU objcopy and Burner Utility | MCU on Eclipse 

Or use the SRecord tool (SRecord 1.64 ) which can do all kind of conversions and manipulations.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

henryzhang62
Contributor I

Jennie,

I import an existing project done by previous employee and do not know if this project has bootloader included or not.

I use this CW11 to generate a S19 file. Its size is 454K. But factory is using old S19 that size is 823K.

My S19 generated by CW11 misses 369K data.

I want to know what is missing in my S19 file.

I open S19 with notepad and could not find where bootloader address is.

Can you help on my issue?

---henry

0 Kudos