MPX5700D sensor - how properly seal it on manifold? Plastic body seems to be too rough for it - I have leaks.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPX5700D sensor - how properly seal it on manifold? Plastic body seems to be too rough for it - I have leaks.

sergey_vorobiev
Contributor I

I'm trying to seal it over OD but I observe leaking and I tried increase seal compression - still leaks.

Isn't it better to seal it on steel plate close to outer edge?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

lisettelozano
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Sergey,

We have the Application Note AN936 about the mounting techniques and testing for the MPX series Pressure Sensors. In this app note, we recommend the usage of the Parker Seal's silicone O-ring (p/n#2-015-S469-40).

When it comes to the basic sensor (CASE 867-08 in the datasheet), this is usually stuck inside the housing that has the 'ports' sticking out to allow you to connect via tubing. The O-ring sits on the beveled edge of the sensor, just high enough to not touch the leads. The O-ring would be used for something like the test fixture in fig 8.  This would give a good tight seal for the test fixture when the pressure basic package is pressed in from the right hand side. Also, we mentioned in the app note the adhesives or epoxy that we recommend to glue the sensor cell to a custom housing or port and the test that you can perform for search about any leaks.

I hope this information can be helpful and apologize for the delayed response.

Best regards,

Paulina

0 Kudos

sergey_vorobiev
Contributor I

Thank you Pauline,

The method described in AN936 didn't work for me - I had leaks all around. What has solved it  was front soft silicone flat gasket. And didn't anybody from industry told you that epoxy is messy? :smileyhappy: . We are trying to avoid it in process as much as possible! Especially when you install gauges on expensive machined manifolds.

Regards,

Sergey

0 Kudos