SPIFI doesn't work at cold boot/reset

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPIFI doesn't work at cold boot/reset

gregjohnson
Contributor II

I am using the Embedded artists LPC4357 board.  I configure the system clock to 204MHz and the spifi clock (using the E divider) to 102MHz.  When running my code in the debugger, it works just fine.  I can read and execute from the SPIFI.  However, after performing a board reset or cold boot which loads and runs the code, accessing the SPIFI fails at the point that I set the E divisor to 2 (102MHz).  I've checked the datasheet for the qspi on the board (w25q16dv) and it says it's max freq is 104MHz. 

If i lower the spifi clock, it starts working again in both use cases mentioned above.

I am using the spifilib v1.14 under lpcxpresso v8.2.2

How can I get the SPIFI to work at 102MHz from cold boot?

4 Replies

gregjohnson
Contributor II

Victor,

Thank you for your reply.  

I have all 6 pins set to high speed.

I have performed the change from on board flash and sram, Both have the same result.

Regarding "preparing the SPI flash for this clock speed", do you mean setting the QUAD_READ and QUAD_WRITE options on the qspi itself?  I am also doing this.  Is there something else that needs to be done to "prepare" the qspi?  I did not see it in the "links below", although the presentation was quite informative. What am I missing?

Thanks.

Greg

0 Kudos

victorjimenez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Greg, 

I didn't understand the following statement. 

I have performed the change from on board flash and sram, Both have the same result.

In the presentation attach to the community post that I put before you can read the following information: 

Boot ROM initialize SPIFI clock either 32MHz or 18MHz. If user code needs higher SPIFI, performance, code must re-configure SPIFI, Note that such code must NOT run from SPIFI

When you are making this are you sure you are running from the SRAM? 

You mentioned before that if you lower the spifi clock then the program runs as it should. Could you please tell me at which value you are setting the spifi clock? 

Regards, 

Victor.

0 Kudos

gregjohnson
Contributor II

Victor,

To clarify the previous statements, when I said that I performed from on board flash and sram I meant that I built my program both ways to see if it would make a difference.  I point was that I was not running out of SPIFI.

I resolved this.  I had the reset parameter of "spifiInit" function set to false.  I figured that the BOOT ROM would have already done this so I didn't need to.  Obviously that was not correct.  Thanks for your help.

victorjimenez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Greg Johnson

Did you initialize the SPIFI pins to high speed?

• This is a setting which just configures the pins for good electrical performance at this high frequency

Did you prepare the SPI flash for this clock speed?

• Also the qSPI device needs to be prepared for the higher speed (see links below)

Did you perform the clock setup change from SRAM or did you bite the hands which feed you?

• Changing the clock setup for the SPIFI might generate some sort of glitches on the interface (from the qSPI point of view) which can cause a crash. You need to locate the function which is doing the clock change in internal SRAM. This requires to locate the SPIFI library in SRAM as well

Also, I recommend you to check the SPIFI presentation of the following link: 

LPC key feature_SPIFI 

Hope it helps!

Victor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos