cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't detect board by MFGtool

ko-hey
Senior Contributor II

Hi all

I and my customer have tested SD/MMC manufacture mode and has an issue which is hard to understand.

[Our test condition]

Board: MCIMX6ULL-EVK, MCIMX6UL-EVK

MFGTool: L4.9.11_1.0.0

Host PC: Windos10 and 7

[Test flow]

1. Connect the micro-B end of the supplied USB cable into USB OTG port J1102

2. Set SW602 to ON, OFF (from 1-2 bit) to enter internal boot mode

3. Set SW601 to OFF, OFF, ON, OFF (from 1-4 bit) to boot from the microSD which is on CPU module.

4. Detach microSD card

5. Insert SD card adapter with micro SD card to SD connector which is on Base board

6. Power on a EVK

7. It can't detect the board with MFGTool.

[Test result]

(a)Insert full size SD card:                               Can't detect board by MFGTool

(b)Insert full size SD adopter with microSD:     Can't detect board by MFGTool

(c)Insert full size SD adopter without microSD: Can detect board by MFGTool

(d)Without SD full size adopter and microSD:   Can detect board by MFGTool

According to the (a) and (d) of test result, I understand that SD1_CD is used to detect whether a card is inserted or not.

On the other hand, I can't understand the difference of (b) and (c).

Furthermore, I measured a SD1_CD by TP1705 in MCIMX6ULL-EVK and got same signal level from both case.

Q1.

Could someone advise me to understand the difference of them ?

Q2.

Does someone have any idea for the reason of the issue has occurred ?

Ko-hey

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

karina_valencia
NXP Apps Support
NXP Apps Support

shivanipatel‌, please continue with the follow up.

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

refer to the user guide:“Do not insert the SD card into slot SD3, and power on the board. After the
message "HID Compliant device" is displayed, the board enters serial download mode. Then insert the SD card into SD slot SD3.” so for SD card downloading mode, you should open mfgtool first then insert the SD card.

0 Kudos

ko-hey
Senior Contributor II

Hi joanxie

Thank you for reply.

Do you know what makes that restriction ?

Is SD1_CD the reason ?

If yes, I can't understand the difference of case (b) and (c), because the signal level of SD1_CD was same in both case.

Ko-hey

0 Kudos

shivanipatel
Senior Contributor II

Hi Joan Xie

It is the ROM behaviour when SD card is connected it will not go into Serial Downloader Mode.

No, the behaviour is different for (b) and (c) case. As in (b) case, it will detect the signal level of SD1_CD while in (c) case it will not detect the SD1_CD signal as microSD is not there in Adapter.

Regards,

Shivani Patel

0 Kudos

ko-hey
Senior Contributor II

Hi shivanipatel

> It is the ROM behaviour when SD card is connected it will not go into Serial Downloader Mode.

Is there a related to SD port ?

In other word, is it same behavior if user make a board which use SD1 for first boot and SD2 for secondary boot ?

> No, the behaviour is different for (b) and (c) case. As in (b) case, it will detect the signal level of SD1_CD while in (c)

> case it will not detect the SD1_CD signal as microSD is not there in Adapter.

As I mentioned before, the signal level of SD1_CD for (b) and (c) are same signal level when I measured by oscilloscope.

What is a criteria of detect ?

Does it detect by voltage level ?

Ko-hey

0 Kudos

ko-hey
Senior Contributor II

Hi shivanipatel‌, joanxie

Could you follow and answer this thread ?

Ko-hey

0 Kudos

shivanipatel
Senior Contributor II

Hi ko-hey‌,

Que: Is there a related to SD port? In another word, is it same behavior if a  user makes a board which an SD1 for first boot and SD2 for secondary boot?

Ans: Yes, there will be the same behavior for the boards which will be designed using this SoC i.MX6UL/6ULL. As this is a behavior of SoC i.MX6UL/6ULL, it will remain the same across all boards which use this SoC.

Que: As I mentioned before, the signal level of SD1_CD for (b) and (c) are same signal level when I measured by an  oscilloscope. What is a criteria of detect ?

Does it detect by voltage level?

Ans: SD1_CD is used to detect whether the card is inserted

In (b) case, it will detect the SD1_CD signal because you are inserting a  full-size SD adapter with microSD.

In (c) case, it will not detect the SD1_CD signal because you are inserting a full-size SD adapter without microSD.

Regards,

Shivani Patel

0 Kudos

ko-hey
Senior Contributor II

Hi Shivani Patel

Sorry, I can't understand the meaning of "detect whether the card is inserted”.

Does the card and CPU are communicate something when user are inserting the SD ?

In my understanding, the detection is by voltage level of SD1_CD signal.

Am I wrong ?

Ko-hey

0 Kudos

shivanipatel
Senior Contributor II

Hi ko-hey‌,

In i.MX6UL EVK board, SD card socket has a CD pin/SD1_CD signal as you can see in below snapshot of i.MX 6UL evk schematic.

SD1_CD.png

This CD pin/SD1_CD signal will get connected to the GND pin while inserting the adapter without micro SD card or adapter with micro SD card, therefore you are getting the same signal level for (b) and (c) cases. And it will be in the HIGH state when no any insertion of the adapter or adapter with a  card.

Regards,

Shivani Patel

0 Kudos