Debugger hangs when saving file

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugger hangs when saving file

scottm
Senior Contributor II

Here's an easy problem to replicate: using an LPC-Link2 in MCUX 10.2.0, launch a debug configuration.  While it's running, go back to the Develop perspective.  Clean up some comments in a source file while you're waiting, forget you've got the debugger running and reflexively hit 'control-s' to save your work.  Sometimes the whole IDE hangs.  Sometimes the debugger buttons get grayed out and 'clean up debug' doesn't work, and if you kill gdb from task manager sometimes you can't launch another debug session until restarting:

pastedImage_1.png

Killing redlinkserver from the task manager seems to solve that, but I don't know why the 'clean up debug' button doesn't do it.

It doesn't do it every time, but it seems to die with considerable frequency for me.

Also, is it normal for gdb to run with > 40% CPU utilization all the time?  I'm certain it didn't always do this - my CPU fan increases pitch audibly and at least with the P&E Cyclone I don't normally hear that.

Scott

0 Kudos
3 Replies

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi SCOTT,

This is an interesting issue. We will investigate improving the interaction of the Debug and Develop perspective in a future release.

With regard to freezing the IDE by saving source code, this has not been duplicated, however, we will continue to explore this possibility and make any necessary fixes reproduced.

Yours,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

0 Kudos

scottm
Senior Contributor II

More information for you - I realized it's doing it when there is a breakpoint set in the modified file.  If the breakpoint moves, the debugger says "Interrupt command received. Halting execution."  And just now when I tried it, I also got "PE-ERROR: ERROR: Could not find thread-id 00000000" after a few seconds, and the target is hung.

0 Kudos

scottm
Senior Contributor II

It happened a few times in a row the other day, and now I'm not able to replicate the problem.  I'll let you know if I figure out how to replicate it more reliably.  My question about gdb stands - is it normal for it to run at such high CPU utilization with the LPC-Link2?  This is with the debugger paused, but it doesn't seem to matter:

pastedImage_1.png

In contrast, with my Cyclone ACP, the entire system's CPU load is under 10% , and less than 2% of that is MCUX and the debug processes.

Scott

0 Kudos