mc33908 reverse polarity

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mc33908 reverse polarity

anzicek
Contributor I

#MC33908 - Hello, I am curious what continuous reverse polarity the MC33908 #Vsense pin can withstand.  My implementation includes the external 5.1kOhm resistor, but the maximum ratings only show -14.0V as the max rating, no clamping voltage or current that the pin can withstand.  If a current were provided I could calculate.  There are also resistive dividers internal to the MC33908 on the Vsense pin, but the values of these are not given, again with the values of these, the -14V could be extrapolated to the input voltage with the 5.1k resistor.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Josh

0 Kudos
2 Replies

TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Joshua,

First off, sorry for the delay in answering your question.

The divider resistance value inside Vsense pin is MΩ level, so 5.1K has quite a little impact for Vsense pin voltage rating. -14V is maximum reverse voltage rating for both with or without 5.1K resistor .

Hope it answers your question.

Best regards,

Tomas

0 Kudos

anzicek
Contributor I

Hello Tomas, the issue I have is that there must be some current flow into the pin prior to breakdown.  The pin clearly handles substantially greater voltages during the ISO 7637 tests (-100V and -150V or pulses 1 and 3a), so I'm trying to get a better understanding of the input architecture so I can defend our use case.  I have test data that shows this device survives repeated exposure to more than -14V but I don't have an engineering defense for that.

Any insight you can provide is appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

0 Kudos