cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash driver for automotive applications - S08SG16

PhilippG
Contributor I
Hello,

can you tell me, if it's possible to get software for a flash driver and an EEPROM emulation for the S08SG16 Microcontroller (a HCS08 automotive microcontroller)?

It should be completely tested and suitable for automotive applications.

I have downloaded HCS08SGFNVMSSD (Standard Software Driver for HCS08 SGF Flash) .
Is there any guarantee that these files work without failure?

Thank you very much for your help.

Added p/n to subject.

Message Edited by NLFSJ on 2008-11-17 08:18 AM

Message Edited by NLFSJ on 2008-11-17 08:19 AM
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Lundin
Senior Contributor IV
I would regard anything involving copying code into RAM and running it there as unacceptable in automotive applications. I haven't read that particular app note, but this is typically the case in other eeprom emulation app notes.

RAM is traditionally an unreliable form of memory. Sure, the RAM in today's micros is very tough, but a loaded RAM cell is likely more sensitive to aging than a Flash cell. That is, if you put something in RAM, don't trust it to still be there uncorrupted after some weeks of constant runtime. Unless of course, you refresh the RAM continously with Flash values.

This might sound paranoid, but it sorts under the programming practice called "defensive programming" commonly used by the automotive industry. Defensive programming means that you should write the program so that it safely can handle things that can theoretically never occur.

Apart from that, storing data in flash is a pain since you need a lot of checksums etc. It will be slow and error-prone.

In an automotive app with need for eeprom, I would use the S08DZ instead.
0 Kudos