AnsweredAssumed Answered

Android 8.0 performance on i.MX6DL

Question asked by Allen Ivester on Jul 17, 2018
Latest reply on Aug 3, 2018 by Allen Ivester

We have a custom board with i.MX6DL SoC which is running Android 7.1.2 based on the NXP sources.  Performance is decent at 720p (HDMI) and worse but tolerable at 1080p.  However, when we run Android 8.0.0 (also from NXP sources) on the same board, UI performance is terrible even at 720p.  We also ran tests with SabreSD (i.MX6Q) on Android 8.0.0 and see sluggish UI transitions, although it is slightly better than our i.MX6DL board (not surprising given the extra two cores and increased L2 cache).

Is anyone else seeing poor UI performance with Android 8.0 on i.MX6 or i.MX7?  For example, there is a significant lag in the Settings app between touch and the subsequent transition to the new activity.  On Android 7.1.2, there was very little delay.  Note that we have 2GB RAM, and most of that is free on Android 8, so we don't seem to be memory constrained.

What could be the cause of the poor UI in Android 8.0.0 on i.MX6?  I know with Android 8, Google introduced the VNDK and it seems NXP has migrated Vivante to that and the ION graphic memory allocator.  Are these just not optimized for the i.MX6?  Was the focus for Android 8.0 primarily on i.MX8?

Thanks for any input.

Outcomes