Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX7S generic timer register base address

Jump to solution
alexjun
Contributor II

vsilesfalstaffigorpadykov

Hi,

Could you help point out where I can find register base address for generic timer? IMX7S reference manual mentioned below two timer, but no register address can be found. Only ARM Peripherals start address can be found in memory map chapter. ARM reference manual have register description, but no address neither.

One local generic timer integrated into each Cortex-A7 CPU
Global system counter with timer bus interface to Cortex-A7 MPCore generic timers

Thank you in advance!

Jun

Labels (2)
1 Solution
falstaff
Senior Contributor I

The generic timer also has a memory mapped interface. It is documented as "System Counter_CTRL" in the i.MX 7 Reference Manual. E.g. upstream U-Boot uses the interface to initialize the timer, see arch/arm/mach-imx/syscounter.c and arch/arm/include/asm/arch-mx7/imx-regs.h (SCTR_BASE_ADDR).

View solution in original post

3 Replies
falstaff
Senior Contributor I

The generic timer also has a memory mapped interface. It is documented as "System Counter_CTRL" in the i.MX 7 Reference Manual. E.g. upstream U-Boot uses the interface to initialize the timer, see arch/arm/mach-imx/syscounter.c and arch/arm/include/asm/arch-mx7/imx-regs.h (SCTR_BASE_ADDR).

alexjun
Contributor II

Thank you! So the generic timer is the system counter, just different name.

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Alex

description and usage of generic timer can be found in arm (www.arm.com) documentation:

from Cortex-A7 MPCore Technical Reference Manual - ARM Infocenter, sect.9.3 Timer programmers model

Within each processor, a set of Timer registers are allocated to the CP15 coprocessor space.

http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.arm.doc.ddi0464d/DDI0464D_cortex_a7_mpcore_r0p3_trm.pdf 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------