i.MX6ULL ethernet rmii PHY with crystal

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6ULL ethernet rmii PHY with crystal

aaronbrice
Contributor I

We have a Vybrid-based SoM that we are replacing with an i.MX6ULL SoM.  The carrier board which we would like to re-use has an ethernet PHY on it.  This phy, (rmii KSZ8081RNB) is using a crystal as clock input and providing ref_clk to the CPU.  This was working in the Vybrid case.  In the i.MX6ULL case, we attached the phy's REF_CLK to ENET2_TX_CLK, and configured GPR1 for input clock, but it's not working.  The reference manual says that ENET2_TX_CLK is only valid in mii mode.  Is that the case?  Is it not possible for an rmii phy to provide reference clock to the i.MX6ULL at all?

Thanks,

Aaron

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

sharadsathvik
Contributor I

Yes !!!!

it is possible for an rmii phy to provide reference clock to the i.MX6ULL.

Clock direction can be set with GPR1 in arch/arm/mach-imx/mach-imx6ul.c
function imx6ul_enet_clk_init() ,IMX6UL_GPR1_ENET2_CLK_DIR=0 and

ENET2_CLK_SEL=1

Verify in the KSZ8081RNB, in PHY control 2 register (0x1f), Phy is configured for 25Mhz clock mode.

I tried and it is working for me.

Regards

Sharad

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Aaron

what bps used in the case, it should work in rmii with ENET2_TX_CLK and

one can look at dts settings in

linux/arch/arm/boot/dts/imx6ull-14x14-evk.dts

linux-imx.git - i.MX Linux Kernel 

test with i.MX6ULL EVK NXP Demo images

https://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=L4.1.15_2.0.0_iMX6ULL&appType=license&location=null&Pare... 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

aaronbrice
Contributor I

That one looks like the imx6ull is providing clock to the phy with ENET2_REF_CLK2.  In my case, I have a 25MHz crystal connected to phy XI/XO, and need to have phy provide clock back to the imx with ENET2_TX_CLK as input.

Thanks,

Aaron

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

clock direction can be set with GPR1 in arch/arm/mach-imx/mach-imx6ul.c
function imx6ul_enet_clk_init() ,IMX6UL_GPR1_ENET_CLK_DIR

linux-imx.git - i.MX Linux Kernel 

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

aaronbrice
Contributor I

Thanks igor.  I had tried that and it didn't work.  Table 22-2 in the i.MX6ULL reference manual says that the ENETn_TX_CLK signals which are affected by GPR1 are only available in MII mode.  Is that correct, you can't input a clock in RMII mode?

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

ENET2_TX_CLK is used on i.MX6ULL EVK board with rmii phy, one can look on p.11 schematic SPF-28616.

Schematics (1)
Design files, including hardware schematics, Gerbers, and OrCAD files.
MCIMX6ULL-EVK_DESIGNFILES
http://www.nxp.com/products/software-and-tools/software-development-tools/i.mx-software-and-tools/ev...

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

aaronbrice
Contributor I

p.11 of SPF-28616 shows ENET2_TX_CLK as an output providing the clock to XI on the phy.  I'm talking about having a crystal connected to XI/XO on the phy, and connecting the phy's REF_CLK to ENET2_TX_CLK as an input to the CPU.

Thanks,

Aaron

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

REF_CLK with ENET2_TX_CLK as an input to the CPU also allowed configuration.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos