Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming i.MX RT1050 wihtout DAP link

Jump to solution
frenoyosburn
Contributor I

Hi there,

I'd like to know if there are any useful options to program the i.MX RT1050 without using the DAP link? I need to run XIP programs from QSPI Flash.

1. MfgTool works but it appears to be very slow as it loads a program into RAM before actually programming the user application.

2. The reference manual says that the on-chip Boot ROM can be used to download code through USB or LPUART, is there any documentation or application like the MfgTool to do this or would I need to write it from scratch?

Any other suggestions are welcome, using USB OTG (as a VCP or CDC) and the boot ROM seems like a good option at the moment but I'm not sure how much has been done in this space already.

Thanks,

Frenoy

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Frenoy

flashloader documentation describes flashing procedures, they use ROM indirectly.

>Is there any documentation or guide on using the on-chip boot ROM directly?

I am afraid no. ROM only provides simple commands for loading application to memory.

Since flash programming requires complex procedures (depending on used external memories),

additional application (like secondary Kinetis Bootloader described in flashloader documentation )

is needed for that.

Best regards
igor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Frenoy

NXP provides tool for flashing external memories

Programmers (Flash, etc.) (1)
Flashloader i.MX-RT1050

i.MX RT1050 MCU/Applications Crossover Processor | Arm® Cortex®-M7 @600 MHz, 512KB SRAM |NXP 

sources:

https://community.nxp.com/external-link.jspa?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmcuxpresso.nxp.com%2Fen%2Flicense%3Fh... 

Also there are much number of app notes devoted to programming external flash memories with

examples on below link:

i.MX RT1050 MCU/Applications Crossover Processor | Arm® Cortex®-M7 @600 MHz, 512KB SRAM |NXP 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
frenoyosburn
Contributor I

Thanks for the reply Igor.

The flashloader uses the MfgTool, correct?

I've also taken a look at the app notes, but they appear to use the MfgTool to program flash which only seems to work on Windows. I've had some success using MCUXpresso IDE to program the flash but it was on the EVK-A. I'm waiting to test this out on my custom board.

Is there any documentation or guide on using the on-chip boot ROM directly?

Thanks,

Frenoy

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Frenoy

flashloader documentation describes flashing procedures, they use ROM indirectly.

>Is there any documentation or guide on using the on-chip boot ROM directly?

I am afraid no. ROM only provides simple commands for loading application to memory.

Since flash programming requires complex procedures (depending on used external memories),

additional application (like secondary Kinetis Bootloader described in flashloader documentation )

is needed for that.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos
frenoyosburn
Contributor I

Thanks for the update Igor.

I'll dig deeper into this to test it out completely.

Regards,

Frenoy

0 Kudos