I want to use parallel display with imx6 based board, running Linux kernel 4.9 . Do i have to enable any specific driver
for this ?
what specific parallel display do you use? if BT656 and BT1120 output, pls refer to the document as below:
Patch to Support BT656 and BT1120 Output For i.MX6 BSP
I was recently dealing with similar problem. I am working on mainline (v4.18) though.
It really depends on your display. Basically there are two options with two variants for each.
In all cases you need to enable:
1. Your display needs a specific driver.
1a) If you are lucky there is already a specific driver for your display.
- Enable that driver a use correct binding in device tree.
1b) There is no driver four your display yet and you need to write one. Worst case.
2. Your display is not too fancy and you can use a simple panel driver.
2a) If you are lucky your display is already supported in the simple driver.
- Enable simple panel driver and use correct binding in device tree.
2b) Simple driver can be used to drive your display but support for your display model is not in place yet.
- Add timings + binding for your exact display model to the simple driver.
It is quite trivial. Look at panel-simple.c history for inspiration: kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git - Linux kernel stable tree
Retrieving data ...