What is the typical read distance between the RC522 RFID reader module (with integrated antenna) and the Mifare ultralight label

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the typical read distance between the RC522 RFID reader module (with integrated antenna) and the Mifare ultralight label

appliedtechp
Contributor I

I am looking for a very low cost reader/label combination for communication with high volume consumable products.  The read distance must be at least 30mm.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Jonathan_Iglesias
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Please check my first message or if I got your question wrong let me know.

BR

Jonathan

0 Kudos

appliedtechp
Contributor I

Thank you, Jonathan, for your reply. 

I was hoping that someone had already tried using the RC522 RFID reader module to read an ultralight label and could tell me the read distance.  I like this module because it has the antenna integrated on the PCB which only contains the MFRC 522 chip and antenna tuning component.  I believe it will be hard for me to find a lower cost combination of Mifare reader/writer module and label.  Has the MFRC630 chip ever been made into a low cost reader/writer module with integrated antenna?  Also, is the MFRC 522 chip going to be unavailable soon, and that is why it is not recommended for new designs?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Jonathan_Iglesias
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello David Henke, my apologies for the late response, to answer your question,If NXP decides to discontinue the product due to unforeseen circumstances or vital business needs, the discontinuation of the product will be announced and performed according to our “EOL/DOD” process providing also a “last time buy” option to our customers.
In any case customer and NXP will in good faith discuss the need of a discontinuation of the product, as well as elaborate and mutually agree on alternative solutions if those can be offered with reasonable effort by NXP.

also please check the evaluation board CLEV6630A|NXP  this might help you to change from 522 to 663.

BR

Jonathan

0 Kudos

appliedtechp
Contributor I

OK, but you still didn't tell me what the typical read distance would be.

Thanks,

Dave Henke

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 1:32 PM jonathaniglesias <admin@community.nxp.com>

0 Kudos

Jonathan_Iglesias
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Dear David Henke, I am not sure you would have a problem with the MFR522 and the MIFARE Ultralight, the distance will depend on the antenna size and tuning but typically is 50mm , just to let you know that this reader is not recommended for new designs we recommend the MFRC630, please check the following links with the readers and their capabilities( NFC Reader ICs|NXP  ), I do not think that your reading distance will be a problem with any of them as long as you reader have a good antenna design I will leave here the antenna design guide for this device (https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN1445_An1444.zip ) and if you choose other reader please check in the documentation section of the selected reader for the antenna design guides.

Have a great day !!

BR

Jonathan

0 Kudos