setup procedure for FRDM-K64 board with Segger J-Link probe ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

setup procedure for FRDM-K64 board with Segger J-Link probe ?

Jump to solution
Anonymous
Deactivated User

FRDM-K64F board user guide does not describe the setup procedure to use Segger J-Link probe with this board except only mentioning that disconnecting J8 and J12 jumpers "might be required" (even this is not clarified when/if and why) .

Can somebody share the sequence to power on : the board, Segger probe, the USB connections for the board, for the Segger probe, and also the jumpers settings changes from default if these are necessary.

Software-wise everything seems to be clear: Segger driver is already installed and the probe is working on it's own, The board is working without probe and MCUXpresso IDE is working with board and I understand that IDE will discover the probe once it is setup.

Only a proper sequence of the hardware setup and powering with probe connected is not fully described.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Vladimir,

It's no relationship with the MCUXpresso IDE, after you firmware the board with JLINK, when you enter debug mode in the MCUXpresso IDE, it will recognize the JLINK interface automatically.

Do you follow my step update the firmware to JLINK at first? If you do it, you will know the details.

If you still have question about it, just kindly let me know.

Have a great day,
Kerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Vladimir,

The JLINK probe use in the FRDM-K64 is very simple, this board already contains the on board debugger, you can download the JLINK firmware, then the on board debugger will be JLINK, you can use the JLINK to debug the on board K64 chip.

The firmware can be downloaded from this link:

OpenSDA Serial and Debug Adapter|NXP 

The FRDM-K64 out of factory is the opensda v2.0, if you didn't modify it and work it with win7 PC, then you can download the JLINK opensdaV2.0 firmware.

SEGGER - The Embedded Experts - Downloads 

Then follow me to update the bootloader:

1. power off the board

2. press the on board reset button, hold on it, plug the USB cable to J26, then you will find your board is a device named as "BOOTLOADER" in the PC side, then release the reset button.

3. send the OpenSDA_V2.bin to your BOOTLOADER, wait the sending finished.

4. power off the board, power on the board again.

5, wait the driver finish the install, then check device manager, in ports, you will find the JLINK com port. It means your JLINK debugger can be used.

Then, in the IDE side, you can select the JLINK to download the code, you also can use the JLINK COMMANDER in the jlink driver to connect the K64 chip.

Wish it helps you!

If you still have question about it, please kindly let me know.

Have a great day,
Kerry

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

Anonymous
Deactivated User

Also, MCUXpresso allows choosing the probe from multiple connected probes. But the requirement to update OpenSDA firmware before using Segger probe means that with a given firmware only one choice is possible: either OpenSDA native or Segger probe connected to J9 depending on which firmware is loaded. In other words if I want to choose another debugger I have to update firmware again. Right?....

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Vladimir,

It's no relationship with the MCUXpresso IDE, after you firmware the board with JLINK, when you enter debug mode in the MCUXpresso IDE, it will recognize the JLINK interface automatically.

Do you follow my step update the firmware to JLINK at first? If you do it, you will know the details.

If you still have question about it, just kindly let me know.

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Deactivated User

Thank you Kerry. If I understand it right - your 2nd link points to Segger firmware needed to replace the OpenSDA firmware which is installed by default in FRDM-K64 but your 1st link does not show Jlink firmware.

How about the powering sequence ?  FRDM board to be powered from USB connection ? No conflict with Segger probe 3.3vpin on J9? Does it matter which one is getting power first : USB to board or the Segger Probe connected first?

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Vladimir,

Yes, USB is used to power on the chip. Please not, J26 USB port on the board.

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos