cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX 8MQuad EVK Win 10 USB to Serial Console Drivers

RichardBohl
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Has the FTDI windows virtual com port drivers indicated in the " i.MX Linux® User's Guide, Rev. L4.9.88_2.0.0-ga, 05/2018
" been found to work for a Windows 10 host?

See excerpt below from page 3 in the document referenced above:

The i.MX 6 SABRE-SD, i.MX 6SoloLite EVK, i.MX 6SoloX SABRE-AI, i.MX 7Dual SABRE-SD, i.MX 6UltraLite EVK,
i.MX 6ULL EVK, and i.MX 8MQuad EVK boards connect the host driver using the micro USB connector. The USB to
serial driver can be found under
www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm.

My experience is that the CP210x virtual com port drivers from Silicon Labs at the link below must be used instead of the FTDI drivers:

https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers

Is the documentation incorrect?

Labels (1)
2 Replies

steven_murphy
Contributor I

Thank you, RichardBohl!  I wasted a ton of time trying to get the USB to Serial ports (VCP) working on Windows 7 x64 with NXP's incorrect instructions.

The 8MQuad EVK page (i.MX 8M Evaluation Kit|NXP -> Getting Started -> 1. Out of the Box -> Tera Term Tutorial) states: 

Serial communication console setup

The FTDI USB-serial chip on i.MX8MQuad enumerates two serial ports. Assume that the ports are COM9 and COM10. The smaller numbered port ( COM9) is for the serial console communication from Arm® Cortex®-A53 and the larger numbered port (COM10) is for Arm® Cortex®-M4 core. The serial-to-USB drivers are available at http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm.

However, FTDI Instructions state (AN_119):

Driver will not install on Windows 7 x64
Windows 7 x64 OS will only allow certified drivers to be installed. The certified driver supplied by FTDI will work with VID 0403 and PID 6001 for FT232 and FT245 devices. It will also work with other FTDI VID and PID combinations.
If you have a product where the manufacture has customised the driver but has not re-certified it, then the driver will not load. You should contact your vendor to determine if they will support Windows 7 x64.

When I looked up the VID and PID of the i.MX8M Quad EVK using the FTDI USBView utility I see:

Device Descriptor:
bcdUSB:             0x0200
bDeviceClass:         0x00
bDeviceSubClass:      0x00
bDeviceProtocol:      0x00
bMaxPacketSize0:      0x40 (64)
idVendor:           0x10C4
idProduct:          0xEA70
bcdDevice:          0x0100
iManufacturer:        0x01
0x0409: "Silicon Labs"
iProduct:             0x02
0x0409: "CP2105 Dual USB to UART Bridge Controller"

Using Richard's link above, I downloaded https://www.silabs.com/documents/public/software/CP210x_Windows_Drivers.zip "Download for Windows 7/8/8.1 (v6.7.6)" and installed them using the executable in the zip for x64 OSes.  I can now access the terminal via Tera Term!

NXP:  Please update the 8MQuad EVK page with the correct driver link and instructions!

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

which board do you need to use? imx6 boards or imx8m boards? refer to my experience, my imx8 boards download driver from VCP, and imx6ul evk board uses CP210x

0 Kudos