cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reboot not working

_andev_
Contributor II

Hi,

I have a custom board based on imx6 dual. I'm updating to BSP 4.9.11 and I have a problem with the reboot. I'm using sysvinit and the command:

#  shutdown.sysvinit -r 0

does a shutdown but the board don't reboot. The same step in my current BSP 3.14.52 based, is working ok. Something in the kernel to check?

Thanks!

Jorge

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

It is highly recommended to remove power (voltage source) to all components on the board in the  
event of a processor reset. This avoids having to determine if a component critical to rebooting the  
processor is in the necessary state to support a reboot.

I.MX validation boards and NXP sponsored third-party boards have all been designed to remove
power (Voltage source) to all components on the board in the event of a processor reset.

So, the POR may be recommended for reboot.

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

_andev_
Contributor II

Hi Yuri!

Well, I think the power is ok because the same hardware with an older kernel version is rebooting ok but with the newer one it isn't. Is there any way to force a reset? What do you mean with "the POR may be recommended for reboot" ?

Thanks!

Jorge

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

The issue, when i.MX device reset is applied for system reboot, but reboot does not finish 
successfully, is from kind of application / situation dependent one and not obviously has 100%

probability to occur.   You may look at i.MX6 reference designs, where system reset / reboot

is implemented via WDOG, which in its turn asserts system POR via PMIC.

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos

_andev_
Contributor II

I've checked the sysvinit version in both BSP and it's the same version 2.88dsf-r14. Then I guess it's the kernel fault. It's able to shutdown the device but not to reboot it.

0 Kudos